Got my HC3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

HC3-1.mov

Bryan,

What codec did you use for HC3-1.mov? I've got QT 7 fully up to date on a Powermac G5 & QT says I'm missing a component (doesn't say which one). Other files played fine. I tried VLC & MPEG StreamClip & both opened the file, but displayed a blank screen during playback. I don't have FCP, just FCE HD (which also failed to open the file).

John
John Snoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Stu,

You are exactly right on the NTSC shutter speeds.

1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4.

John,

As for the HC3-1.mov I did a native export from the FCP5 timeline. I think you need FCP5 to view it. Sorry.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #18
New Boot

I got my HC3 today... following in Bryan's footsteps. So far, I am awed by this little camera! I shot a little test video around the house and it looks stunning on my Sony 70" Qualia 006. The default color balance with low level natural light in the house was a bit on the cool side. No problem, I set the dial for WB shift and dialed in +4 - right on the money. I'm going to have a busy weekend putting this puppy through it's paces.

I was surprised that 2 Sony NP-60 batteries were in the box. And grateful that my stash of NP-50 and NP-70 batteries work fine. No need for me to invest in extra batteries.
Kris Trexler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Suthard
I rolled the dice on eBay and managed to purchase a new "import" model. While I was very skeptical of the whole deal since it has not been released yet per-se, it just arrived, is NTSC, in English, etc. I also have an FX1 but plan to use this for mobility. I have to say that it is super small and so far exceeds my expectations. It even has a small thumbwheel you can use for manually adjusting a few things like exposure and focus. The only big thing I do not like is it does not have a mic-in jack but man is it small and I can't believe I was able to get it.

Bryan
So Bryan, it's been a week, now that you've really had some time to "play" how ya likin it?
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Miguel,

I am on taking it with my on a family vacation in Key West - just arrived here. It is great for this purpose. I really like the "Zebra" feature for the exposure settings and keep it on manual exposure with the thumbwheel for fine adjustments to it. Obviously it is more limited than my FX1 on settings but the portability makes it ideal for my vacation purposes. Even on auto white balance, the colors are looking very true when I pull footage into FCP5.

Bryan
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #21
New Boot

I had some fun with my HC3 yesterday. I shot my first video at The Grove mall here in Los Angeles in a downpour with no umbrella! The HC3 isn't waterproof, but no damage was done. I'm impressed with the ergonomics, although it takes some finesse to feather that tiny zoom control. The multi-function dial is great. I made frequent use of it for white balance and exposure shift.

When shooting I prefer to use the viewfinder rather than the swivel LCD. I incorrectly dialed down the exposure too much when some images seemed a little too bright in the viewfinder. Next time I'll use the zebras to verify correct exposure rather than relying on the LCD viewfinder. There's no rubber eyecup on the HC3's viewfinder, so my eye frequently got a tiny bit off center axis which made the viewfinder look blurry. I never had this problem with any other camera - all of them had rubber eyecups.

The exposure shift dial adjustment may be changing iris AND shutter. When shooting a TV monitor while shifting exposure with the dial, I noticed black sync bars on the monitor moving vertically as I rotated the exposure dial.

It's hard to believe a camcorder this small can produce images as stunning as this camera does. I was blown away by how incredible the video looks on my 70" HDTV. The built-in mic sounds better than I expected, altough I hope someone comes up with an external mic jack for the accessory shoe. This may not be the best camera for pro use, but semi-pros and the target buyers for this camera are gonna love it! I will have no qualms about shooting my vacation in Asia with the HC3. The small size hits the sweet spot as a travel camera. Not too big and not so small that you can't keep it fairly steady.

Here's an excerpt of a :58 video I edited in FCP5, downsized for faster download.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/HC3
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Trexler
I had some fun with my HC3 yesterday. I shot my first video at The Grove mall here in Los Angeles in a downpour with no umbrella! The HC3 isn't waterproof, but no damage was done. I'm impressed with the ergonomics, although it takes some finesse to feather that tiny zoom control. The multi-function dial is great. I made frequent use of it for white balance and exposure shift.

When shooting I prefer to use the viewfinder rather than the swivel LCD. I incorrectly dialed down the exposure too much when some images seemed a little too bright in the viewfinder. Next time I'll use the zebras to verify correct exposure rather than relying on the LCD viewfinder. There's no rubber eyecup on the HC3's viewfinder, so my eye frequently got a tiny bit off center axis which made the viewfinder look blurry. I never had this problem with any other camera - all of them had rubber eyecups.

The exposure shift dial adjustment may be changing iris AND shutter. When shooting a TV monitor while shifting exposure with the dial, I noticed black sync bars on the monitor moving vertically as I rotated the exposure dial.

It's hard to believe a camcorder this small can produce images as stunning as this camera does. I was blown away by how incredible the video looks on my 70" HDTV. The built-in mic sounds better than I expected, altough I hope someone comes up with an external mic jack for the accessory shoe. This may not be the best camera for pro use, but semi-pros and the target buyers for this camera are gonna love it! I will have no qualms about shooting my vacation in Asia with the HC3. The small size hits the sweet spot as a travel camera. Not too big and not so small that you can't keep it fairly steady.

Here's an excerpt of a :58 video I edited in FCP5, downsized for faster download.

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/HC3
That's very perceptive, noticing and grasping why the sync bars on that monitor were rolling when you adjusted the exposure. Have you looked at the Data Code for when you made those manual shifts, to see if the shutter speed was stamped on the tape?

It's just a matter of time and practice, before you learn how to interpret what each new camera shows on the VF and what you'll get on a bigscreen.

I would probably make my own VF hood, from some liquid moulding rubber. Very likely, one could be plucked off some old camera and trimmed to fit. Actually, I have trouble keeping my eye precisely in line with the VF on my VX2100 and that's got an elephant ear for a hood. I've never had that problem with any other camera, regardless of the VF type.

In his own words on an E-Mail that was put on another forum, a guy from Nederland pledged to start selling a hotshoe mike adaptor for the HC3, that would be made in the U.S., later this Spring. Wait and hope.

Is there any hope for the ham-handed ones among us, to be able to play good tunes on those tiny controls?

If this little pocket-wonder shoots as well as you say, folks had better get theirs soon. Every time Sony makes the mistake of putting out a great camera at too cheap a price, they pull it before long. They don't like to have their more expensive stuff lingering on store shelves, while being undercut by a model like this one.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
That's very perceptive, noticing and grasping why the sync bars on that monitor were rolling when you adjusted the exposure. Have you looked at the Data Code for when you made those manual shifts, to see if the shutter speed was stamped on the tape?
Steve,

Good suggestion, and yes the Data Code confirms that shutter speed and iris are changing when the adjusting the dial for exposure shift. The iris change is minimal - shutter speed shows the most dramatic change as the dial is rotated.

Still photos saved on the included 128mb memory stick are better than I have seen on other camcorders, and the built-in flash is a godsend.

The automatic lens cover is a great touch. It snaps open only when camera mode is active, closed in other modes.

My only complaint so far is that the autofocus can be a bit squirrely. I tested it by zooming in fully on a soda can from 4' and it never locked on - continually hunting and never got close to being in focus. I'm guessing there was at least 20 lux during this test which should be sufficient illumination, or maybe not. I may use manual focus more frequently with this camera. Too bad no focus assist feature on the HC3 - as we know, HD is not forgiving with less than perfect focus.
Old March 20th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I posted a new short clip on my site of the Key west Sunset. The colors were great at that point in the evening. I did a very slight midtone correction on the "tightrope" part of the clip so it better matched the "sun" part of the clip but other than that these were the exact colors the camera produced in the AE Program mode for sunset.

http://www.tampahighdef.com/HC3-1.html

Bryan
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series