Sony wide angle lens in stock at B&H - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #31
Major Player

Here we go...

X lens was released before the Y lens.
X lens weighs about 190grams, Y lens about 320grams.
Y lens is physically (obviously) quite a lot bigger than the X lens.
Y lens has a slightly flatter front element than the X lens.
Y lens has a larger diameter front element.
Y lens is black, X lens is silver.
Both are designated "HG"= Hi-Grade in Sony-speak.
Both have (obviously) 37mm rear-filter thread, so same size rear-element.
Neither has a front-filter thread.
Y lens is usually more expensive than the X lens.
X lens is usually about USD99 at B&H, and Y lens is usually about USD149.
(right now - that´s exactly what their prices are at B&H, X lens reported as being in stock, Y lens reported as being out of stock).

Both people who have bought the X lens and people who´ve bought the Y lens almost unanimously report much satisfaction with their lens.

There exist, not on this site but another site, a lens test of the two lenses and it shows no discernible difference between the two lenses performance. there *may* be a difference, but even blowing up shots on a resolution chart has shown no *apparent* difference. Therefore i think it´s safe to say that on full-frame moving video it´ll be very very tough to tell the difference.

Summary : the lenses aren´t just aesthetically different, they are a slightly different design, but i´ve never heard of anyone being able to report noticing any real-world video OR static-shot on a res-chart difference in the performance.

- Both are very good.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM   #32
Major Player

I ordered mine today from B&H and already got a shipping confirmation. The Y version. It is in stock again at B&H.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM   #33
Major Player

Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
Actually, the Y lens has 3 groups, 4 elements - coming straight from Sony. And the Y lens is 320g without the lens cap - also straight from the Sony packaging labelling.
Weight: you´re right i was thinking of the tele Sony lens 2037. Y is 320gms, X is 190gms. I´ll edit my post.
Also don´t trust Sony´s web site too much - it´s RIDDLED with errors.

For example see this i just found:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

On the SAME PAGE, we have one statement that the lens is "3 groups, 4 elements" and then lower down on the left of this same page it says "4 groups, 6 elements". Sony.com is full of theser sort of careless inaccuracies.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:06 PM   #35
Major Player

Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Well, it wasn't the site I was looking at, but the original packaging for the Y lens.
On Sony's website, the VCL-HG2037Y is specifically designated as being of HD quality. The "X" model does not have this designation in its description.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #37
Major Player

I got the VCL-HG2037Y today and I must say I love it. It is really a big difference with the wide-angle lens on and off. Furthermore, it nicely balances the camera with the QM-71D battery on.

What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?

Thanks in advance for your great advice.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #38
Major Player

I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it. But then again, I'm not very good at noticing these sorts of details.
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
I hear it has slight red/green color aberrations at the widest angle on the sides, but using the lens myself, I don't really see it.
I was looking at those Raynox pics (hd7000pro) and they showed some color aberrations at the sides. I haven't really been able to compare to the sony's so I don't know which ones to buy.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
What I would like to ask, is if there are any limitations? I read something about the autofocus and infinity in the manual. Furthermore, does it cost me any stops of light if I have it on or off? Any other bottlenecks maybe...?
Hi - I don't *think* there's any loss of light with that lens, or certainly nothing substantial at all. You could tell easily by simply doing this:
- put camera on a tripod (or maybe if you haven't a tripod, put it on edge of a table. Switch exposure to MANUAL (fixed).
Take 10secs video with Y lens on, then stop recording, remove Y lens while keeping camera in exactly same place. Record another 10secs or so.
Replay this 10+10 secs of video on a TV. If there's any light loss then the second 10seconds (with Y lens off) will be slightly brighter than with it on.

Personally i don't think it'll be appreciable, but still interesting to see.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #41
New Boot

VCLHG0737Y back at Amazon for $99 just ordered it.

*Edit* Well I'm glad I ordered it when I did. I now just jumped back up to $159.99

Last edited by Chris Youell; May 19th, 2006 at 11:16 PM.
Chris Youell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series