Cannot Capture 1080i from HC3 in FCPHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Cannot Capture 1080i from HC3 in FCPHD

It seems that my new HC3 is not recognized by FCP HD? When I go to log & capture in FCP HD the camera is not recognized. I have two systems a Powerbook with FCPHD running Panther and a G5 running Tiger... neither system sees the camera. My VX2000 & PD-170 are recognized -no problem.

I have the capture preset to DVCPROHDV 1080i. I see no other viable preset for this camera to capture HD. I see no "HDV 1080i" option.

If I change the in-camera setting to "Convert to DV" using firewire - only then does FCPHD see the camera.

I got a shipping confirmation for the new Production Suite upgrade on Friday. Is it likely that the upgrade to FCP5 will solve my problem? Or is this an issue with the camera model being brand spanking new or something? Any ideas?

Thanks-
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
I have the capture preset to DVCPROHDV 1080i. I see no other viable preset for this camera to capture HD. I see no "HDV 1080i" option.
That's your problem; the Sony camera's use HDV, not DVCPRO. Close all open projects in FCP. Now go to Easy Setup and check the "show all" box. Scroll down and choose HDV 1080i60 (or 10080i50 if in PAL land). Now start a new project and the the settings will be correct for capture, clips and sequences. Note that this won't change any existing projects/sequences/clips however, only new ones.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

One other thought.... what version of FCP are you on? HDV was not supported by versions older than 5.x, so if you're using FCP 4.x (for example) then you're out of luck. You can't capture from your camera in that case unless you use a 3rd party solution.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
One other thought.... what version of FCP are you on? HDV was not supported by versions older than 5.x, so if you're using FCP 4.x (for example) then you're out of luck. You can't capture from your camera in that case unless you use a 3rd party solution.
Thank you - that's what I needed to know because I am using FCP-HD. The version between 4 & 5.

I have the new Production Suite coming this week so hopefully I'll be all set then. -thanx
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Requesting Confirmation of FCP 4.5 HD Vs. FCP 5.1

Could anyone please clarify:

I have FCP 4.5 HD.....which leads me to believe that is supports just THAT, HD...

But you are saying that, NO, only FCP 5.1 or later, supports HD.

Is the difference HD vs. HDV?

Thanks for the info,

Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reilly
Could anyone please clarify:

I have FCP 4.5 HD.....which leads me to believe that is supports just THAT, HD...

But you are saying that, NO, only FCP 5.1 or later, supports HD.

Is the difference HD vs. HDV?

Thanks for the info,

Reilly
I think that's right. I see no HDV codecs in my FCP 4.5 HD. So 4.5 was just the beginning of HD support and FCP5 is more complete with HDV.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series