Alan Roberts Reviews the A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alan Roberts Reviews the A1

There's a pretty in depth review of the A1 done by Alan Roberts who was involved with R & D at BBC.
Interesting...

http://img.hexus.net/v2/lifestyle/al...n_res_sets.pdf
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I am in awe of the testing method. I wonder what software was used and if its specific to those zone plates.

I wonder what the same system would make of the HC3.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the post!

This is by far the most detailed review of any camcorder I have seen. Really cool to own the camcorder he reviewed. :)

Thanks again!
Alexander Karol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Glad you found it useful!

What I thought was an interesting departure was how he recommended using CineTone 1 for getting a better gamma curve.
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

looks good. summarizing what I learned from the article:

1. always shoot in HDV.
2. Set your sharpness to level 7.
3. Use Black Stretch for normal video production
4. Use Film Look 1 for film look

Am I missing anything here?
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well, according to the article, the sharpness wants to be between 4 for SD and 7 for HD. For instance, I have a feeling I'm going to end up keeping my sharpness a little lower to avoid that harsh 'video look' that always looks a little odd to me.

Roberts also recommends setting the shutter speed to 50 fps (PAL) which would translate to 60 fps on this side of the pond. This will avoid some of the weirdness that the auto setting can cause when bright. Keep the Zebra on though so you don't clip. Digital doesn't distort 'nice' like film.

But he does give a great simple starting point, lopping off a good number of the settings, bells and whistles that don't do that much good. Which is great for people like me who like simplicity.

Last edited by Frank Howard; April 27th, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I noticed, in his article, that his tests revealed a problem with red (magenta). He mentioned it rather matter-of-factly, I might add.

--Dave.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yep. I noticed that in his article too. Of course, with such an in depth study of the A1 it would have been surprising if he hadn't seen the red oversaturation issue. Of course, the only workaround he suggested was to drop the Camera Color setting one or two steps...

But I must admit I *was* surprised to see the problem occur on a movie shot on *film* (Storytellering).

But, for a camera that comes in under the 2K mark and is so small, the A1 is still very, very impressive.

Last edited by Frank Howard; April 27th, 2006 at 01:48 PM.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series