What's the A1 most used for?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the A1 most used for??

Hi, I'm curious as someone who is interested in buying an A1, what others use the camera for. Is it a practical or feasible camcorder to use for wedding or event videography?? What about documentary filmmaking or low budget narrative filmmaking?? I'm assuming that it's not used for home videos as the anyone who wanted to shoot their friends or family in Hi-Def would settle for the HC1 or HC3. So what does everyone use their A1 for??

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:15 AM   #2
Major Player

I hope to use mine for making short narrative films or music videos or just video projects in general.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Thames
I hope to use mine for making short narrative films or music videos or just video projects in general.
I use mine to supplement my Z1U during weddings. It works well for ceremonys, pictures, and general footage. But it looks ugly in a dim reception hall unless you add lotsa light.

Worth it alone for the timecode!
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought mine to do narrative filmmaking. The A1 may not be perfect, but it is simply amazing for the price and its size.
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Trustee

I do adventure/travel and event docs. I've just done one short (20 min) project with the A1, but it has been enough to sell me on HDV. I am going to recycle my PD 170 for Z1 and use the A1 as second cam.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

And I am the family guy...:-) Decided between the HC1 and the A1. The $500 rebate on the A1 putting it under $2000 made me go that way.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #7
New Boot

I bought mine exclusivly for shooting my kids as they grow up. I did not settle for the HC1 because I wanted to learn how to shoot the best footage possable. It is becoming a hobby for me and the A1 has a much steeper learning curve for a newbe like myself
David Stieferman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series