Pass Through on an A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pass Through on an A1?

Can I connect my VCR to an A1 and pass the VCR tape video/audio through the cam to my Mac (or even onto the mini-DV tape)?

I'm trying to decide whether I'll have to by a converter box too or whether the cam can do it.
Darren Rousar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #2
Trustee

The HC1 doesn't have passthrough, so I assume the A1 doesn't either.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmmm. That's too bad. Oh well.
I read the specs a little closer and given it's A/V out can I assume it would allow me to go the other way? -NLE > Cam > Production Monitior.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yes, you can use the a1u to record directly from a vcr. don't know if it has passthrough, but once you record, you've got a digitial file that you can log and capture into your NLE.
Dave Halliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I will try it later tonight. I have to put an old movie of my wifes on dvd from VHS. Will post the answer later on.

Thanks
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
I will try it later tonight. I have to put an old movie of my wifes on dvd from VHS. Will post the answer later on.

Thanks
Any luck with this Michael? I'm inches away from buying a Canopus but if the A1 can do it I'll skip the Canopus and wait till I buy the cam (2 weeks :)).
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm getting confused.

You are asking if you can display your NLE timeline on a production monitor by connecting from computer to camera by firewire, and camera to monitor by component? Right?

If so, I don't think that's what Micheal was going to test....
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Any luck with this Michael? I'm inches away from buying a Canopus but if the A1 can do it I'll skip the Canopus and wait till I buy the cam (2 weeks :)).
Darren...sorry about that, but I did not have a chance to look at it earlier this week. I just hooked everything up to my vhs player and computer, but am not able to pass video through. I have tried several settings change, but I keep getting a no video output from the camera. There may be a way, but I sure do not know how to pass it through. Sorry about that.

Mike
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael, I was guessing it wouldn't work :(

Graham, I suppose that, bottom line I would have liked both options. My friends GL1 can do both. Not that the lack of pass through is a deal killer for me a the A1.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Thanks Michael, I was guessing it wouldn't work :(

Graham, I suppose that, bottom line I would have liked both options. My friends GL1 can do both. Not that the lack of pass through is a deal killer for me a the A1.
It would be nice, but there are so many other options to get vhs to your computer for a decent price. Definately don't let that come into play.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Definately don't let that come into play.
Yup, just ordered a Canopus ADVC-300 A/d Converter. This gives better converting options than one through a cam anyway.
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Trustee

I have an ADVC-100 just for such tasks. Two years running and still very reliable. It won't defeat macro protection though, I've tried salvaging some of my purchased movies on VHS, the keepers (caddyshack, etc.) . I have to pass them through a dedicated TBC. Otherwise, for home movies and personal stuff, these little boxes rock.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I have our old digital camcorder that works fine. Also have a direct connection to my video card
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

OK, the Canopus arrived but now I've another question that's similar to my original post, hence the thread-jacking :)

My client wants edited, mini-DV tapes back from me. I'm minutes from ordering the A1 but I need to make sure I can 'print to video,' as FCP calls it, with this cam.

My projected method:
Import from VCR into FCP through the Canopus > Edit in FCP > 'Print to Video' from FCP into the A1.

Since I'm pretty new at this, I'm unsure as to whether the Firewire port on all cams (specifically the A1) works both ways. I know I have device control through FCP > Firewire but I don't know if that actually lets me record to the cam from FCP.

Unlike the original question, this is the deciding factor for my A1 purchase. Will the A1 do it or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:09 PM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

I've used a VCR, Hi-8 and even a BETACAM deck through any number of DV cameras/decks, and even the HD10, to convert footage from analog to DV. But you can't upconvert it to HD. For that, try the JVC BR50 deck.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series