Does LANC controller pull power all the time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does LANC controller pull power all the time?

I noticed my enhanced battery was dead today. I had the controller plugged in all night, but the camera was turned off. Does it constantly draw power? Also...I plugged in the ac to recharge until I get the quick charger and noticed it would not start charging the battery until I disconnected the lanc cord. Common?

Thanks guys...
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes i think someone else mentioned this as well so it looks like you're right, thats the way it works.

pull the plug on it when not using looks like the way you have to go.
By the way, which model LANC do you have Michael?
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Yes i think someone else mentioned this as well so it looks like you're right, thats the way it works.

pull the plug on it when not using looks like the way you have to go.
By the way, which model LANC do you have Michael?
Currently have the Varizoom stealth, but it will be returned for the Monfrotto 521pro
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Very much appreciate any feedback on the 521Pro when you get it Mike.

best regds
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:

best regds
Will definately do that. Alex talks highly of it.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:

best regds
Stu...the 521Pro arrived today. Only used it for an hour or so, but am very impressed. The one push (well hold down for a second) is great. You have progressive and fixed zoom settings. Basically you can set your zoom speed to your personal preference and it will not vary. You can also do the obvious progressive where the zoom is controlled by how much you apply pressure to the rocker which, by the way, is very easy to control for short or very long zooms. Manual focus can be used by pushing the MF button one quick time. This will then make the rocker control focus rather than zoom. Push the manual focus one more time and you are back to total zoom control. The one push AF function is achieved by holding the manual focus button in for a short period and it does work very well. Doing this leaves the rocker on zoom. Other than that you have your basic on/off and record/stop. Overall I rate this very high. Yes...you cannot focus and zoom at the same time, but I doubt many, if any, would need that. Even if you did...switching the rocker between focus and zoom is one push.

Well update if I find out anything further.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #7
Old Boot

I love it.

As I've progressed, the only thing I'm missing is an exposure control. Working the LANC and then needing to flip around to grab at the EXPOSURE dial is a real pain. This is true of most LANCs.

The PUSH focus was a revelation to me. However, I really have had to make sure I'm still not in MANUAL focus when I zoom. Often I get out of focus results when I zoom! I now tend to look down and see IF the Manual Focus light is OFF prior to using the rocker.

I use it on my DVRigPro and on a second Miller Pan Handle.

The 521Pro? Wouldn't leave the house without it! Even if I wasn't vidoeing!!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard
I love it.

As I've progressed, the only thing I'm missing is an exposure control. Working the LANC and then needing to flip around to grab at the EXPOSURE dial is a real pain. This is true of most LANCs.

The PUSH focus was a revelation to me. However, I really have had to make sure I'm still not in MANUAL focus when I zoom. Often I get out of focus results when I zoom! I now tend to look down and see IF the Manual Focus light is OFF prior to using the rocker.

I use it on my DVRigPro and on a second Miller Pan Handle.

The 521Pro? Wouldn't leave the house without it! Even if I wasn't vidoeing!!

Grazie
I agree Gerald. In my ongoing work with it I find that using the one push AF is not that bad as long as I hold my finger on the button. I should stress...not bad is meaning I do not go to manual focus instead of zoom control. I do agree with the AE, but oh well...not that bad to deal with. Great Controller
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #9
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
I agree Gerald.

LOL!!! Who's "Gerald"! Nice name ...

I just ZOOM in > PUSH focus and my AUTO gets invoked and sets FOCUS > CHECK! > Release AF > Zoom out. Sometimes IF I do this, in a DOUBLE hit, I ALLOW manual to be invoked, and when I then zoom out my FOCUS goes instead. What/why do you keep it pressed in?

But I would like to be able to adjust Iris via a LANC

Grazie ( Gerald!!!)
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
LOL!!! Who's "Gerald"! Nice name ...

I just ZOOM in > PUSH focus and my AUTO gets invoked and sets FOCUS > CHECK! > Release AF > Zoom out. Sometimes IF I do this, in a DOUBLE hit, I ALLOW manual to be invoked, and when I then zoom out my FOCUS goes instead. What/why do you keep it pressed in?

But I would like to be able to adjust Iris via a LANC

Grazie ( Gerald!!!)
Sorry Graham. :-) I was talking with a Gerald from work at the same time...oh well...
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #11
Old Boot

. yeah? Bet you called HIM Graham then? - ;-)

Nah problem Eric!

G
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Chaps (now don't say 'who's this guy called chaps?'...!)

thanks for the feedback on the 521Pro.
Sounds like a quality bit of kit it really does.

One more thing that springs to mind at the moment is: where are you mounting it when you're shooting ?
Graham/Grazie (you're called 'Thanks' ?!!?! - some italian background i'm sure.) - am not sure what cam(s) you've got but i'm thinking something pretty serious judging from your longevity and other posts etc. so you may have more room to mount the LANC.

Yes yes i know, on a tripod it's not a problem at all (pan handle i guess) but where do you two guys mount the LANC if you're just using a monopod or pure handheld (shudder..) ?

Vielen Dank
Old May 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM   #13
Old Boot

Not handheld. No. I use it on the right hand handle of my DVRigPro- viz : http://dvtec.tv/id27.html

Grazie

pronouced: Graze-EE .. as in a Bull grazing!!! Got the image??
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Not handheld. No. I use it on the right hand handle of my DVRigPro- viz : http://dvtec.tv/id27.html

Grazie

pronouced: Graze-EE .. as in a Bull grazing!!! Got the image??
Ah looks like a nice rig. Sort of a cross between a steadicam and a shoulder brace, except no iso-elastic arm.

ok right got the image now.... i think. cheers!

ps. nice tan for a brit... ;-)
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series