iLink Cable and the A1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iLink Cable and the A1U

My cam is due to arrive tomorrow (Tues).
I finally found the A1 manual online and didn't notice a firewire cable (iLink in Sony-speak) listed in the 'supplied items' list.

Does one come with the cam and if not, what kind should I buy?
Darren Rousar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #2
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
[...] firewire cable [...] Does one come with the [HVR-A1U] and if not, what kind should I buy?
I did not get a FireWire cable with my HVR-A1U and my manual states explicitly that it's an "optional accessory." The camera has a 4-pin FireWire connector. Depending on what connection your computer has, you'll need a 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable (most common) but it's possible you'll need a 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable as some laptops use a 4-pin FireWire connector to save space.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks David,
After my post I re-read through some of the PDF manual and also noticed the (optional) designation. Then I went to Amazon and found 2 Sony i.Link cables, the 4 to 4 pin and the 4 to 6 pin. Some reviewer there mentioned the 4 to 4 doesn't work for a Mac so I ordered the 4 to 6.
Darren Rousar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Rousar
Some reviewer there mentioned the 4 to 4 doesn't work for a Mac so I ordered the 4 to 6.
For a Mac PowerBook, Mac Book, MacBook Pro, iBook, iMac, or PowerMac, the 4 to 6 is the right cable, all the recent Macs (so far) have 6 pin FireWire 400 connectors (the two extra pins provide power to peripherals like smaller hard drives).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series