Putting some light on the subject! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Putting some light on the subject!

I just got my Sony HVL-20DMA video light today from B&H!

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search)

I use it for my HC1. I am very happy with it.
It will be very helpful for the documentary interviews I have to do. Given the fact that I am on a really tight budget, this light will be nice.

The HC1 has really poor low light capability that I had no choice but to seek out some extra lighting especially for travelling and situations where I have to pack lightly (pun intended).

I have 3 batteries (1 QM71D and 2 FM50). I will probably need to get another 71D just for the light. It will only power up to 20W with the 71D battery, otherwise you will only get 10W from the FM50's.
I'll probably just get a generic one off of eBay.

Perhaps a diffuser is in order as well!

It also come with a bracket that is usefull!

Does anyone have any experiences using the generic type of 71D batteries with this light?

How long do the bulbs generally last?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't have experience with that particular light.

You could get a small tripod for the light, set up as the key, and one of those folding fabric reflectors for bouce. If shooting near a window or day lit room, the reflector will add the soft fill needed on the interviewee's face as well. A cheap folding music stand and some gaffers tape will hold it up well, and still fold into a small duffle bag.

Do a search on Dvinfo, someone provided a link to using cheap flouresent light stands built from stuff readily available at home depot or hardware store. Those also fit into a manageable duffle-bag.

The thing I don't like about camera mounted lights is the direct deer-in-the-headlights look you get (if your on the move and getting spots, that's expected).

I have a still photography background and I'm not supposed to be satisfied :) I was at a relatives wedding three weeks ago, and the photographer had a wireless flash on a seperate, lightweight stand. He said the look was more akin to studio shots since the light was not pointed directly at his subjects.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series