Error Message on my HC1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Error Message on my HC1

Hello everyone!

I got an error message on my HC1 in the middle of an interview.

I was changing the tape and then closed the cover when the screen read something like..... "Tape Condensation Power Off for 1H"

It was also blinking C:21:00 (i believe that was the code. Or was it C:23:00?)
in the top right hand corner.

Luckily the interviewee is my aunt and I can retake it anytime.

I quickly ran to my computer and tried to look up what the heck was going on.
I finally read some posts that suggested that I take off the battery and give the camera a couple soft whacks on the side.
Although I was a bit hesitant to "whack" my NEW camcorder I was desperate to get it working. So I did. AND VOILA! It works!

This has happened a few times. =(

Has anyone had the same problem happen to them?

What could be causing it?

Should I send it in to Sony for maintenance?
If so, how long do they usually take? I can't bear to be without it for too long!

I feel very strange hitting my camcorder as something like this probably shouldn't happen to a new camcorder!
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Sony error codes (fairly universal):

Here is a list of codes:

Self-diagnosis Code Symptom/State Correction
C 04 00 Non-standard battery is used. Use the info LITHIUM battery.
C 21 00 Condensation. Remove the cassette, and insert it again after one hour.
C 22 00 Video head is dirty. Clean with the optional cleaning cassette.
C 31 10 LOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 11 UNLOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 22 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 23 S reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 24 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 40 FG fault when starting drum. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 42 FG fault during normal drum operations. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 22 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 23 S reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 24 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 40 FG fault when starting drum Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 42 FG fault during normal drum operations Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
E 61 00 Difficult to adjust focus Inspect the lens block focus reset sensor
E 61 10 Zoom operations fault Inspect the lens block zoom reset sensor
E 62 00 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect pitch angular velocity sensor
E 62 01 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect yaw angular velocity sensor
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #3
Major Player

Key

Thanks for the key, Stu, is great to know the numbers on those codes. I have the 31 code before on a clamshell and a TRV900. Now I know the breakdown...and what really went wrong.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Vankirk
Although I was a bit hesitant to "whack" my NEW camcorder I was desperate to get it working. So I did. AND VOILA! It works!

...I feel very strange hitting my camcorder as something like this probably shouldn't happen to a new camcorder!
There are times when you have to do this to feel better.
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Trustee

You may have brought it from the outside to the inside and different temperatures can affect the camcorder. For example outside could have been 105 degrees when you were videotaping and once you start videotaping inside the AC is on and its 55 degrees inside the house. This can definitely cause condensation to build up.

Your best option is to keep the tape cover open of at least one hour while the camcorder is inside a plastic bag. To be on the safe side you should keep it inside the bag for 2 hours.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Peter

Seriously you cannot be serious! =)

Thanks for the codes STU!

Paulo, funny that you mention that.
Considering I live in Las Vegas and I did come from outside where it was about 102 degrees to inside the house where the Air Conditioning is running FULL BLAST @ 77 degrees (thank god for AC!).

Perhaps you are right Paulo!

I will take your advice about the plastic bag. Maybe I will see some condensation on the inside of the bag and that will tell me what's up.

But what about the other code I got?

I believe it was C:21:00 but it said something about the tape and nothing about condensation or powering off. Just something about the tape.

Anyone know what that might be?

Thanks again for all your help!
Charlie Vankirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Vankirk
Peter

Seriously you cannot be serious! =)

Thanks for the codes STU!

Paulo, funny that you mention that.
Considering I live in Las Vegas and I did come from outside where it was about 102 degrees to inside the house where the Air Conditioning is running FULL BLAST @ 77 degrees (thank god for AC!).

Perhaps you are right Paulo!

I will take your advice about the plastic bag. Maybe I will see some condensation on the inside of the bag and that will tell me what's up.

But what about the other code I got?

I believe it was C:21:00 but it said something about the tape and nothing about condensation or powering off. Just something about the tape.

Anyone know what that might be?

Thanks again for all your help!
Still sounds like it was a tape/condensation issue. It may have just said something like remove tape etc... since C 21:00 says to remove tape for 1 hour.
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series