HC3 vs. HC1, which is better? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #16
Major Player

Good things come in small packages..

Very interesting rig, Peter. D U like the results?

JH
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Stromme
While there is no 1/8" mic input on the HC3, there is an accessory shoe which carries power and accepts audio in. Sony currently sells 2 enhanced camera mics that plug into it.

It's not hard to imagine a Sony or 3rd party 1/8" adapter for the shoe (kit project anybody?), or a shoe wireless mic system (maybe even Bluetooth based)
Maybe not hard to imagine but I don't think it's happened yet. Big :-(

I have the Sony 'zoom mike' that fits this specialty shoe and it's just barely OK in audio quality. I should really emphasize the 'barely' part of that comment.

JohnG
Old June 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #18
Trustee

Jack, yes. The audio was acceptable. I have a small sound booth for VO, as the photo studio is right underneath a manufacturing room. In that room is a few vibrating/shaker parts feeders. These and their transformers present an ever present hum that feeds right into the audio. (Shoots that require live audio and speaking parts are done elsewhere).

However, I was able to filter out that noise in post as usual. The key is getting a quality mike. The samson UHF, when purchased new a few years back, ran about $600. It has noise cancelling circuitry.

If the beachtek's deliver similiar quality, then it sounds like a deal.
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #19
Major Player

Fly it..

Peter,

I plan to mount the HC1 on a Merlin, and I want to keep it as light as possible. I am going to start with a Rode Videomic and see how it works.

JH
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #20
Trustee

Sounds cool. I can't get over the weight of these things. I'm still thinking cheap miniDV, yet I'm getting 2x the quality.

I've carried mine rigged to a monopole for an entire day, without tiring out or getting sore shoulders.

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=478&c=33
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #21
Major Player

Peter - interesting rig. Could you expand a little about the handle arrangement pls? is the whole handle thing all part of the Varizoom lanc? or is that an accesory handle you've bolted onto the monopod and if so can you give the parts etc. appreciate it, cheers..
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden
Maybe not hard to imagine but I don't think it's happened yet. Big :-(

I have the Sony 'zoom mike' that fits this specialty shoe and it's just barely OK in audio quality. I should really emphasize the 'barely' part of that comment.

JohnG
One thing - when you use the mic in 'zoom' mode, it actually blends (yuk) the internal stero mic at wideangle with the external gun mic at telephoto. so at max wideangle i think it only uses the internal mic. doesnt sound nice.

i have a sony zoom mic i bought ages ago (since superceded with others..) and only used it on 'gun' mode. Recommend most people do the same really as its too inconsistent sounding otherwise.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #23
Trustee

Stu, It's a varizoom VG-PL. I bought that lanc control about three years ago. It also comes with hardware (the attached brackett) that allows it clamp (via thumb screws) onto bars of various shapes and sizes.

I purchased it with their original three-point shoulder rig, I think they still sell it, that also has an adobminal brace/pad. I needed it to carry the forward heavy XL1s (which is not a shoulder cam).

It has focus and record buttons, a large zoom rocker, and finger tip wheel to control zoom speed. The all metal design and pistol grip style is very confident when holding the rig and helps keep it upright. Even holding it with one hand.
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Stromme
While there is no 1/8" mic input on the HC3, there is an accessory shoe which carries power and accepts audio in. Sony currently sells 2 enhanced camera mics that plug into it.

It's not hard to imagine a Sony or 3rd party 1/8" adapter for the shoe (kit project anybody?), or a shoe wireless mic system (maybe even Bluetooth based)
If you want an AIS Bluetooth wireless mic, there is the ECM-HW1 by Sony. I have not tried it, a prospective customer asked me about it. It looks interesting though.

It may be possible to modify / hack a Sony AIS mic to get the audio input you want, but to make such a device from scratch is prohibitively difficult because the pins are spaced very closely together, so one is best off making a modification. Global-dvc.org might be working on just such an adapter, according to the last time I talked to the site owner.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #25
Regular Crew

In my new HDV Blog is a little hack for the ECM-HW1 BlueTooth mic..... and new comparison hdv-picture from Sony FX1 - HC1 - HC3

http://www.fxsupport.de
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #26
MPS Digital Studios

Just a quick note...I tried out the HC3 recently and didn't notice much of a difference in terms of quality. The auto controls were a bit strange, but if you are in a 100% controlled situation, this can make for a great camera to do interviews, etc.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series