HC3 / ECM-HW1 Wireless MicrophoneECM-HW1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC3 / ECM-HW1 Wireless MicrophoneECM-HW1

Hello,

does anybody know if the
Sony ECM-HW1 Wireless Microphone
(bluetooth)

works well on the HC-3 ?
And is it possible to adjust the audio level manually when attaching this mic ?

I know the HC-3 has basically no manual audio levels, but maybe this gets possible when a intelligent shoe mic gets attached ..

here is the link on sony style:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...derMicrophones

If somebody has experiences recording interviews or so with this mic and auto level it would be very nice to post something - thanks! :-)
Holger Leonhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Holger, I have this combination (HC3 and ECM-HW1), and I am quite happy with it. I should add that I have never had a chance to work with truely professional audio/video equipment, so maybe I just don't know what I am missing. Yet, I have been using this wireless mic successfully many times in situations where the builtin mic (or even the ECM-HGZ1 gun zoom mic) wouldn't have been of much use.

The instructions that came with it don't say anything about adjusting the audio level, and I don't recall seeing such a feature built into the HC3.

- Martin
Martin Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Martin, thanx!
Did you record speech and did you notice some kind of "pumping" audio after some time of silence when the automatic increases the level ?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Leonhard
Did you record speech and did you notice some kind of "pumping" audio after some time of silence when the automatic increases the level ?
I did not, but maybe I am just not trained enough yet to notice this. What I could probably do is make a small sample of a recording available to you that I took with the HC3 and ECM-HW1 combo - that way you will probably get a better idea of what it sounds like. I can't do this right now, but could get something ready over the weekend. Would that be helpful?

- Martin
Old June 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here http://www.fxsupport.de is a hack of ECM-HW1.
Old June 26th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly
I did not, but maybe I am just not trained enough yet to notice this. What I could probably do is make a small sample of a recording available to you that I took with the HC3 and ECM-HW1 combo - that way you will probably get a better idea of what it sounds like. I can't do this right now, but could get something ready over the weekend. Would that be helpful?

- Martin
oh yes, that would be very helpful, many thanks! :-)

Hello Wolfgang - did you found a trick to keep the audio level steady on the HC-3 ?
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hello Wolfgang - did you found a trick to keep the audio level steady on the HC-3 ?
No............
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger Leonhard
oh yes, that would be very helpful, many thanks! :-)
OK, I have a short sample ready for you, recorded with the HC3 and ECM-HW1. You can find it here:
http://idisk.mac.com/mpauly-Public?
You'll find an .aiff audio-only file (48 kHz/16 bits, which is the same format as the original recording) as well as a QuickTime .mov file with audio and video (compressed with H.264). No post-processing of any kind was performed on these files, so you'll be able to hear exactly what was recorded. I have included the .mov file so that you can see where people are in relation to the microphone, which as you can probably guess from the images was on the table.

I am curious what you think. Like I said, I am by no means an audio expert (nor a video expert, for that matter), so maybe I can learn a thing or two from your evaluation of the sample.

- Martin
Old July 1st, 2006, 05:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks!
audio from the original bt - mic is not bad, Wolfgangs hack sounds much better, but I think its better to do audio external if professional quality is needed.
The little Edirol R1 - recorder might be cool as it includes a high quality stereo mic and records 24bit uncompressed.

I wish sony could do a pocket size FX-1 with all features ..
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #10
Regular Crew

help

Hello Wolfgang, I have a problem with my HC1:when I connect the external mic, the levels are still oscillating(-30db) on the display. it could be that the internal mics are not fully separated when you insert the jack into camcorder?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series