workaround to lack of mic options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Major Player

workaround to lack of mic options

Has anyone found a workaround to HC3 not allowing standard shotgun mics plugged into it?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Um, sell the HC3 and get a HC1?
just a little joke..

Seriously, i don't think anyone has found a way round this. If you really want/need to use non-Sony ext.mics, then the HC1 / A1 is really the only way to go i think OR wait til September - the new Sony HiDef models UX1 and SR1 i think BOTH have MIC IN jack which is really a great thing.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Trustee

If your run and gun, sorry. As Stu posted, get something else. If your doing a locked off shot and/or interview, the cheapest way is to use another DV camera, (if you have an old one on hand that is), to capture the audio seperately and sync in post.

I have the HC1, with a decent mic and a very short cable, it's good enough.
Old July 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Major Player

One solution I've heard is to use a minidisc recorder and align the recorded material in the editor. I'm sure someone is working on a plug-in solution for the HC3. I would like to.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #5

About the only "workabound" is to tear open the cam, disconnect the internal ribbon connectors, and jerry-rig a new mic connector with cable protruding from the body.
Perhaps you could do the same thing and take over one of the existing jacks, such as replacing the LANC connector with a 3.5mm plug, but I don't know that I'd want to.
The HC3 is designed as an exclusive consumer cam. I'm using one in some professional applications where I don't need audio at all, but that's the only place I could recommend using one.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
About the only "workabound" is to tear open the cam, disconnect the internal ribbon connectors, and jerry-rig a new mic connector with cable protruding from the body.
Perhaps you could do the same thing and take over one of the existing jacks, such as replacing the LANC connector with a 3.5mm plug, but I don't know that I'd want to.
The HC3 is designed as an exclusive consumer cam. I'm using one in some professional applications where I don't need audio at all, but that's the only place I could recommend using one.
Wouldn't it be easier and better waranty wise to buy one of those mics from Sony such as the ECM-HST1, open it up and use it to make a jack?

That would take care of the mic problem but not the headphone problem.

Or one could still get an HC1 which is still available at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye
Wouldn't it be easier and better waranty wise to buy one of those mics from Sony such as the ECM-HST1, open it up and use it to make a jack?

That would take care of the mic problem but not the headphone problem.

Or one could still get an HC1 which is still available at B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
If you hook up the avout cable and buy an converter that changes from rca to
miniplug you can hear the audio.
I've tried it and it works.
Richard Yium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #8
Major Player

If I could find an HC1e for a reasonable price I'd definitely do that. I have an FX1e with a fried firewire port and so instead of spending 600 to fix it my dream would be to buy another camera to use as B-roll and to transfer footage to computer. The HC1s listed on ebay seem soooo expensive.

I did try the mini disc recorder thing--and that is definitely the best solution-- BUT too awkward in the recording, don't have the human resources to have an extra person on set for that, and also another time consuming to sync up the massive amount of footage I have in editing.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Yium
If you hook up the avout cable and buy an converter that changes from rca to
miniplug you can hear the audio.
I've tried it and it works.
So if one dissects the stereo mic and uses the AV-Out cable with an adapter then one has a mic input and a headphone jack for the HC3.

I'm glad I have 2 HC1's which are still available at B&H and for the time being would be the ideal fix.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...reless_mic.php

this should solve some of your problems. it has an audio jack to monitor the audio coming in.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoochul Chong

this should solve some of your problems. it has an audio jack to monitor the audio coming in.
Audio jack? That's pretty cool.
Old July 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
If I could find an HC1e for a reasonable price I'd definitely do that. I have an FX1e with a fried firewire port and so instead of spending 600 to fix it my dream would be to buy another camera to use as B-roll and to transfer footage to computer. The HC1s listed on ebay seem soooo expensive.
Are you shooting for PAL countries or is there some other reason you want the "E" model?
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
Are you shooting for PAL countries or is there some other reason you want the "E" model?
1) Already have the FX1e so must match that

2) Shooting a no budget feature so need the 50i to best convert to 25/24p

3) Couldn't afford the Z1

4) I like making my life difficult
Old July 27th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoochul Chong

Has anyone tried this? The non-directional mic doesn't sound too promising for use for say, interviews etc. I wonder what the quality is like, and if the bluetooth connection is stable.
Roger Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Garcia
Has anyone tried this?
You may want to take a look at this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70021

I doubt it's a match for higher end wireless systems, but it has been useful for me many times when the camera had to be far away from the scene. So far, I have not experienced any problems with the bluetooth connection, as long as I had good batteries in the transmitter.

- Martin
Martin Pauly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series