Sony QM71D Battery life at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony QM71D Battery life

The little battery that came w/A1 lasts less than 1 hr.

What kind of time can I expect from the bigger QM71D? 2hrs w/LCD?

91D is just too big.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
New Boot

I have a "clone" QM-71 made by Hahnel, which shows I have over 250 minutes when I put it on the A1 after a charge.

Just as I was about to start another thread on this subject I thought that I should reply to this one. I have found that obviously battery duration depends on various factors such as power zoom use, rewinding etc.

So how accurate should the InfoLithium display be?

I have found that the viewfinder display tells me that I had 40 minutes left in record mode, but then a couple of minutes later the low battery indicator showed up and soon shut down. Is this typical, or do I have a faulty battery or camera?
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Major Player

If I remember correctly, it's about 3 hours with LCD (but depends on how much zooming and such too). Without LCD, even longer.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hooper
I have a "clone" QM-71 made by Hahnel, which shows I have over 250 minutes when I put it on the A1 after a charge.

Just as I was about to start another thread on this subject I thought that I should reply to this one. I have found that obviously battery duration depends on various factors such as power zoom use, rewinding etc.

So how accurate should the InfoLithium display be?

I have found that the viewfinder display tells me that I had 40 minutes left in record mode, but then a couple of minutes later the low battery indicator showed up and soon shut down. Is this typical, or do I have a faulty battery or camera?
John,

I'm sure your camera is fine. The clone battery you speak of is most likely made in a back alley somewhere and sold by a shady character, that's why it doesn't work. There are plenty of clone batteries out there, but from what I read on these posts there are plenty of problems with them. When I bought my A1U I spent the extra money and bought two genuine Sony QM91's from B+H. The extra money is worth it to me so I know they will actually work.

With these two batteries (and the one that came with the camera) I can probably shoot for most of the day. They last a good many hours. Buying batteries from Ebay or wherever may save you money but it's most likely they won't work worth a darn. I've heard of a few exceptions, but in general this is the case.

I haven't heard great things about the "Impact" batteries either, so I'd stick with Sony. Buy 'em from B+H or another reputable dealer. Good luck.
Bob Bitteroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Bob,

I live in the UK and Hahnel are quite well respected manufacturers based in the Irish Republic. See www.Hahnel.ie

The battery works OK, but I was concerned about the information shown in the viewfinder about reserve battery time. Even the supplied Sony battery today showed I had 14 minutes left when in replay mode, but suddenly a minute later the low battery warning appeared and the camera shut down. That is why I asked how accurate that sort of information should be? At what point should the low battery warning appear?
John Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

cheap batteries are just that cheap!!! Buy oem stuff for the camcorder because hc1 only will take a m series lithium ion with a memory. The camera will reject cheap batteries of the same model #. But buy cheap batteries for the on camera video lights they work great...
Tom Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Major Player

On my genuine Sony battery (71), I was able to get to 5 minutes left showing on the battery level meter with LCD on. So, it's pretty close in my experience so far. However, on other Sony camcorders and genuine Sony batteries, I've noticed it will suddenly jump from 40 minutes to 0 and turn off.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #8
New Boot

Tom:

I agree with you, but the Hahnel battery has a chip built into it to mimic the InfoLithium technology. It is not simply a cheap battery. My comments were not about the battery, which works fine, but about how accurate the technology should be.

Alex:

Thank you, that is the sort of reply I was hoping to get.
John Hooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series