Busted HC1 update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 25th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1
Trustee

Busted HC1 update

Only one month and I busted my HC1. It'll cost me $500 to repair. It's still worth it. However, it would seem that parts for this model are hard to get, and have been placed on back order. Without a date for when they will be available. Not that I care for the long wait because it's a consumer division model, but not having parts is a sure sign of obsolesence, and it's a much often replaced component. (Mine was forced damage, but the failed part had to do with the tape transport, it would stick or pause slightly even when new. This last mishap it stopped altogether).

I'm not sure why the hold up or if it's a specific HC1 component that's not found on the A1U's which are still in production.

How long is the typical wait for Sony consumer repairs? Four weeks? Four Months? Any stories?
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Major Player

It took me about four weeks to repair the tape mechanism. They also had "parts on order".
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It could be a good solution also to find a friend in Manilla (Philippines ) and to ship him the cam.

I had a similar problem with a SONY camcorder. The french SONY service asked me 650 Euros (800 dols) to repair.
Then a/ I bought a new (non sony) camcorder. It was probably a mistake, because
b/ I gave my crippled sony to a Philippino friend. He brought it back to MAnilla, had it serviced in a day or so by the local official sony center , and enjoyed a perfect camcorder for 5 (FIVE!) dollars....
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Pierre, sounds like you were 'very generous'.

I have a couple more weeks yet before I get on the horn and find an alternate solution. Fortunately it's not holding up any production (other than home movies, etc.), it's a family cam. However, it's another reason to pay a little more to get onboard Sony's pro level support for paying gigs.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Pierre, sounds like you were 'very generous'.

Indeed my "friend" was actually my son ...
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series