Trying to Understand HC3 and 1080i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old August 26th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1
New Boot

Trying to Understand HC3 and 1080i

Dear DVi'rs

Looked at all those nice 1080 QT clips from Apple, and thought wow, thats what I want, so I bought a HC3(E), Pal, in Indonesia.

Ok. Keep on dreaming ;)

If I understand it right, 1080i is (in my case) 25fps interlaced, that means that there are actually 50 half frames per second....

Anyway, I captured with Vegas 6, and I noticed that in the final DVD pal mpegs there is ghosting, it seems somehow that 1 frame actually contains 2 mixed frames... Not very nice....

I downloaded a trial version of Cineform HDLink, and its captures also have this ghosting... I tried converting them with HDLink to the "Cineform Intermediate" avi format, still ghosting.

Then I turned the "deinterlace 1080i sources" OFF, and surprise surprise no more ghosting in the avi's from HDLink.....

So (at least to me) there some magic in NOT deinterlacing the m2t files while converting them to avi (or something else?)

Forgive me, I am a newbie to this stuff, I surely belief that the HC3 looks great on HDTV's (I don't have one), I just hope to make a great looking DVD, an I am trying to find a way to do so...

And this ghosting is a real problem... I just wonder how to get rid of it, in other apps as well besides HDLink...

The ghosting is also present in the clip of this post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69773

Just press PAUSE during a pan...

But maybe I just don't understand how this all works yet...

Can you enlighten me a bit?

Bert

http://www.bali3d.com/
Bert Vierstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Major Player

It's pretty simple. Your player deinterlaces them badly. If you just playback an interlaced file with media player the chances are it will simply blend the fields together. That will create ghosting.

VLC player has bob-deinterlacing which will look very nice. It creates 50 progressive frames out of 50 interlaced ones. Try that.

If the problem is with your video editing programs or encoder then you need to go over their settings.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen
It's pretty simple. Your player deinterlaces them badly. If you just playback an interlaced file with media player the chances are it will simply blend the fields together. That will create ghosting.
I use the same player for the mpg, m2t or avi files..... (Media Player Classic) and can play all files without frame drops....

Also, if a save a frame, the ghosting is in the frame as well...... But not in the AVI file generated by Cineform, and the "deinterlace" unchecked ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen
VLC player has bob-deinterlacing which will look very nice
Very nice indeed !! Can play deinterlaced directly from the cam with that....

Wish it captured it too....

Bert

Last edited by Bert Vierstra; August 26th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vierstra
I use the same player for the mpg, m2t or avi files..... (Media Player Classic) and can play all files without frame drops....
Yes, but mpc doesn't deinterlace properly.

Quote:
Also, if a save a frame, the ghosting is in the frame as well...... But not in the AVI file generated by Cineform, and the "deinterlace" unchecked ?
You're using something other than overlay for output so the screencapture takes exactly what's on screen, not what's in the buffer.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #5
New Boot

I see, thanks ....

Isn't there a way to convert the files from the HC3 to how the VLC player shows it (deinterlaced) ?? (It creates 50 progressive frames out of 50 interlaced ones)

I tried many ways to create a good DVD, but I can only get "ghosting" results, also when I play it back on a regular DVD player....

Bert

Old August 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes there is. Your video editor should be able to do it, what are you using? There are many stages where the wrong setting can cause the interlacing to get mixed up.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series