A1 and on-camera lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 and on-camera lights

Hey everyone,

I'm considering purchasing an on-camera lighting solution, but I'm not sure how much wattage I will need. I intend to shoot in not-so-well lit structures and also around at night in the city. I expect my subjects to be about anywhere from 3ft to 20ft away from my camera. I have read about some 20watt lights from Sony, but not sure if this will provide enough light. I also plan on using this on-camera light for wedding receptions, and I don't mind having to carry a battery pack for it. Thanks.
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Shooting 20feet away at night----- that is going to require some OOMPH !

I would recommend a Frezzolini Micro-Fill (Dimmable). Has 35Watts, and comes with separate battery pack (Nicad, but a better NiMh pack is also available):
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks stu, have you ever tried or anyone for that matter a light that puts out 100w? what situations would I use that in?
Sean Hsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hsieh
thanks stu, have you ever tried or anyone for that matter a light that puts out 100w? what situations would I use that in?
No i've never tried one that powerful although they do exist and are used. Generally the problems with something that powerful are:

1) if any people in shot they will find it overbearingly bright and won't really be able to look anywhere towards the light/cam
2) They will kill even a hefty battery in no time at all
3) They will chuck out a huge amount of heat so have to be careful with diffusion if using any.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Lighting @ 20+ feet.

I really don't know if you are going to get 20 feet range out of any battery powered light. We used to use the Frezzi "Sun Gun" and that was pretty powerful, but the batteries were closer to weight of motorcycle batts. (Big old Anton Bauer belt, gave you a workout). Used to burn myself a lot too.

I'll suggest you consider the Litepanel brand, as it should be very lightweight, cool burning and not suck a battery dry as fast. I cannot speak for their range. LED's are getting better and better, the super bright ones are still expensive to produce, but next few years should dopr quite a bit.

Ifthe Litepanels cost puts you off, there are similar devices out there that may be cheaper.

I am back to amateur status now, so have not messed with any of this stuff.

I also used to use the cheap (walmart) halogen work lights plug them in, scrim them and adjust color bal on camera accordingly. Poor man's light kit.
PS A scrim greally helps prevent faces from being blown out in dark scene. IMO needed in wedding video for bride.
James Harring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series