Monopod thread screw question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 25th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod thread screw question

I bought a Manfrotto monopod to use with my A1, and bought at the same time a Manfrotto ball head to go on top of it. I thought these would go together fine since they're made by the same company and supposed to be compatible with one another.

However, the ball head wants to take a 3/8" screw into the bottom, while the monopod has a 1/4" screw at the top. Is there some kind of screw thread size adapter I can buy to fix this? Shouldn't the ball head or monopod have already come with this?

Lee
Lee Kazimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Don't assume one-size-fits all. Manfrotto makes tripods and gear for several sizes. Having a 3/8 fitting would indicate a ball head made for a much heavier camera, and it would be a little too stiff/heavy for your needs. When going mobile every bit a weight you can avoid is a blessing.

You could locate a hardware store and get a thread reduction insert (3/8 OD, with 1/4 ID). However, for all the hassle, it's best to return the item for the correct one.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Some of the Manfrotto pods have a 3/8 sleeve over the 1/4x20 if not they do have 3/8 to 1/4x20 reducers that are very inexpensive and IIRC there are 10 in a pak. They come in very handy.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Pete:

Yeah, there were two ball heads I could have gotten. The "lighter" one said the max weight was 4.4 pounds, the heavier 8-ish. I knew that the A1U was borderline when you add on all the extras (shotgun mic, wide angle lens adapter, heavy battery, etc.) so I went with the heavier one.

Don, who makes these reducers you're talking about?

I will check my local hardware store for a thread reducer. If I can't track one down I guess I will have to return the item, which would be a pain since I bought online. Live and learn!

Thanks guys,
Lee
Old October 27th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Lee, I don't think you'll find it at a hardware store but perhaps a photo store-Ritz camera type- it's kind of a speciality item. I know B&H has them here's the listing:::Bogen / Manfrotto Reducing Bushing - 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 (Set of 5) Mfr# 148KN • B&H# BO148KN Our Price: $ 15.95

Why return the monopod? just get the reducers and you're all set.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Don, thanks for the link. I just ordered the reducers. They'll be good to have around, anyway, never know when that problem will creep up again. I'll post back here to let you know how they work.

Lee
Old October 27th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Or buy just one (instead of a set of five) on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320042279737

(Not sure I'd call it "American to European" adapter, though: 3/8" to 1/4" maybe.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series