How's the 25p mode on the HVR-A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old October 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How's the 25p mode on the HVR-A1?

Couldn't find an good answer for this particular model: How is the 25 progressive mode on this cam? (I live in PAL land)

This site shows how the FX-1 and Z1 do 25p: http://www.dvfilm.com/fx1/#CF25

(They lose some resolution, but DVfilm maker doesn't remove all interlaced artifacts...)

Is the 25p mode on the A1 the same?
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Trustee

I haven't actually tried it with mine yet but I remember reading some articles saying it is much better than the z1 due to the cmos chip but you still lose the vertical resolution...
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Philip,

Just watched your video (the demo video) Looking at the motion, it seems like you used frame blend?

To bad it's just 640x480 so I can't judge it resolution wise. It nice looking though!

I suppose you live in NTSC land? If so , you'll probably can't helpt me with a normal 1440x1080 interlaced frame and one from 25p right?
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

From a BBC R&D document: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp034-add19.shtml

The HVR-A1 uses one single field (from the interlaced 50I or 60i) and interpolates that to 1440x1080.

So that would be exactly the same as just shooting interlaced and then de-interlacing in post. De-interlacing in post probably gives better results due to the smart deinterlacers available.
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series