Sony HVR-A1P Vs Sony DSR-PDX 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 21st, 2006, 11:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVR-A1P Vs Sony DSR-PDX 10

Hi. I have just scored a job for feb '07. I wanted to rent a Sony DSR-PDX 10 3 CCD camera that I am used to. Where I rent from have advised me that they no longer rent his cam and the next available cam is the Sony HVR-A1P (Australin Model Number A1P, not sure what you call it in the USA).

I quoted from the catalouge, which is not up to date obviously and can now only rent the A1P or for an extra $200 rent the HVR-Z1P from this company.

My question is apart from eating into my profit margin, obviously the Z1P would be the best Cam, but how does the A1P rate to the DSR-PDX10, would I get away with it? I've never used it Would it be superior despite only having 1 x CCD.

Next question, I'm stuck in standard definition, I use FCP 4.5, will either of the HD cameras be compatible with FCP 4.5, if I stick to SD

Many thanks

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

You can shoot in HDV mode on either the A1 or Z1, then set "i.LINK CONV" in the menu. That will downconvert to standard definition DV during playback/capture, so FCP 4.5 will be fine. You would still have the original HDV tape then if you ever want it in the future. The other option would be to set the camera for regular DV mode (which both will also do), but my experience is that you'll get better quality shooting HDV and capturing as DV.

I have a PDX-10 and a Z1, and have seen an A1 but never shot with one. The Z1 is certainly better than the PDX-10 in standard definition (widescreen) mode, but not vastly better. The main difference I notice is better detail in wide shots. The Z1 is much nicer to work with however. The LCD screen on the Z1 is really excellent. If shooting standard definition you will have no problems focusing at all. The focus ring is a big improvement over the PDX-10, the zoom rocker allows much slower zooming, and you have a lot of new image controls - especially black stretch - that are very worthwhile. Perhaps the biggest control improvement is the iris knob which allows subtle manual adjustment where the PDX-10 moves in very noticeable bumps.

Like I said, I haven't personally shot with the A1 but it has less physical manual control and moves many functions to a touch screen. One thing which turns me off about that camera is the bottom loading, meaning you have to remove it from a tripod to change tapes. However people around here report that the image quality is very good. It is physically smaller and lighter than the PDX-10.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, I have elected to go for the Z1P, Fortunately the organisation is Government and I have negotiated for them to pay for extra Cam hire.

I guess I was curious with all the influx of HD Cams weather there was an improvment going from say an older 3 x CCD Cam like the PDX 10 to one of the newer 1 x CDD Cams, ie. would all that extra infromation that you are getting with a 1080 x 1920 image v. the older SD.

Many thanks

Michael
Michael Lyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do the pdx10 and a1 both have a 37mm filter diameter?
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Sundry
Do the pdx10 and a1 both have a 37mm filter diameter?
Well, the A1 does!
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Wrangler

So does the PDX-10. But be careful in assuming the same lenses and filters will be adequate. The higher resolution of the A1 may show up defects with wouldn't be noticeable on the PDX-10.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

im using some macro stacks for a 35mm adapter, im not too worried
Brendan Sundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lyas
My question is apart from eating into my profit margin, obviously the Z1P would be the best Cam, but how does the A1P rate to the DSR-PDX10, would I get away with it? I've never used it Would it be superior despite only having 1 x CCD.
The A1 doesn't have a 1CCD. It has 1 CMOS.
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series