Let's talk about the HDR-HC5 and HDR-HC7! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #16

The industry has standard tests, and has had a standard in testing for many years.
What you're asking about is a standard subjective test, which is also good for comparison, but it requires a business model that just doesn't apply here for purposes of revenue. The sites you mention all have significant revenue from sponsors and sales, and therefore can afford to block out an area that sits idle when they're not shooting. Much harder to do in this particular scenario.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #17
Major Player

I wonder if the "Cinematic Mode" is more of a Cineframe24 style type pull down or if it is more like the 24fps implemented on the V1U?
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #18

As mentioned in other threads, the Cinematic mode is somewhat like the Cineframe24, although not the same, and nothing at all like the V1U with it's true 24p mode.
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #19
Regular Crew

1/30th vs 1/60th

Does going from 1/60 to 1/30 double the lux rating? Will you loose 1/2 your resolution? My hc1 looks much better in 1/30 for low light, I knew the 2 lux had to be a marketing gimic. That would make it about 4 lux in 1/60 then right? Guess we'll just have to see the real world tests at 1/60th.
Dan Gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales
Does going from 1/60 to 1/30 double the lux rating? Will you loose 1/2 your resolution? My hc1 looks much better in 1/30 for low light, I knew the 2 lux had to be a marketing gimic. That would make it about 4 lux in 1/60 then right? Guess we'll just have to see the real world tests at 1/60th.
HC7 will absolutely be considerably better than HC1 in low light situ's at same shutter-speed (ie.. low light).

1/30th etc is quite usable in most situations and i think Sony has done well to implement a mode to automatically drop shutter to this level as often people (users) just wont have the wherewithawl to know that dropping the shutter in on-the-edge situ's will help them enourmously. (subejct to obvious camera-shake and subject movement issues etc)
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #21
Major Player

Bottom line are these any better than the HC3? PQ wise??
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #22
Major Player

What about the sound recording on the HC7? I thought I read it would have a hot shoe, extra plug for a mic and headset. What is the sound quailty on these cameras? Could you stick a good mic on the HC7 and would it compare to Sony A1U or close. I'm wondering if the video might be better.

I'm thinking save $1,000 bucks get the HC7 a stick a good mic on it.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #23

It is very close to the A1, but not all the great features. The audio does allow for external, so with a Beachtek and great mic, you'll have great audio.
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
It is very close to the A1, but not all the great features. The audio does allow for external, so with a Beachtek and great mic, you'll have great audio.

Thanks Spot. Buy something like the HC7 add a good mic and a Beachtek or get the A1U that has that already. ( I think the mic is ok on the A1U).

I guess I'll wait and see what the price on the HC7 will be when it is released or a month after it is.
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM   #25
Trustee

DSE, have you done the jump with the HC-7 yet? I am wondering how it is handling POV/Extreme use. With the audio in, this makes it very interesting.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #26
Major Player

I'm looking for a good mic. I know this isn't the HC7, but probably close. But using a mic like this looks like overkill!! Can anyone recommend a good, but smaller mic for a small camcorder like the HC7.

I want somthing that can be used for podcast and other web based video.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22...gs120_left.jpg
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:47 AM   #27
Regular Crew

I'm using the Rode and like it a lot. I "guerilla'd" a blimp for it to use outside cause the stock foam filter still let too much wind noise through.

However, the Rode doesn't plug into the computerdue to the way it's wired. I ended up getting a Samson QU1 for voice over work. Seems fine to me.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:43 AM   #28
Major Player

How would you guys be mounting the Rode Videomic onto the Sony AIS, out of curiosity?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM   #29
Regular Crew

message deleted

Last edited by Dan Peterson; February 2nd, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #30
Regular Crew

I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the HDR-HC7 or buy a very low hours Panasonic DVC-30 for $1200 (or a PD170 for around $2K). My main application is recording music instructional videos and live traditional music in pub settings. I'm very intrigued by the low light capabilities claimed for the HC7. HDV is not my primary requirement, but having a smaller camera with excellent low light would I think be more attractive than the larger DVC30, assuming the low light capabilities are close. Any suggestions?
Michael Eskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series