DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HC3 external microphone adaptor discontinued (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/84880-hc3-external-microphone-adaptor-discontinued.html)

Richard Iredale January 26th, 2007 05:32 PM

HC3 external microphone adaptor discontinued

Well, Sony last month had said on their parts page that the little VMC-K100 was about to be made available for the US. Not any more.

If you type in that part number on the Sony parts page, they reply that it is being discontinued. The reason is obvious--they don't want to cut into sales of their new HC7, which has a mic input on the camera body.

You can complain at (800) 222-7669, but I doubt it will do any good. The guy I spoke with at that number had absolutely no reference to that part number at all. He was very surprised when I showed him Wolfgang's web page and a photo of the actual item.
http://www.fxsupport.de/14.html

Perhaps some third-part company will pick up the ball.

Jeff DeMaagd January 28th, 2007 06:43 PM

That's unfortunate. Has anyone here even able to get it?

Tyson Persall January 31st, 2007 01:25 AM

I AM FURRRIOUS!!!!!!!!!

What do you want from me? To buy a whole new camera. What, my HC3 is 6 months old and its obsolete now???
I just bought a Sony Vaio AR290 laptop on Friday and found out today it is obsolete/discontinued and replaced by the AR390. Nothing like having top of the line model for only 4 days.
Just make us the dang Mic input adapter please.

Douglas Spotted Eagle January 31st, 2007 01:32 AM

Tyson, the HC3 is over a year old at this point; it was a short term fill. If you only bought it 4 months ago, you might have not researched the purchase of it well.
Gear comes and goes very fast from all manufacturers, more rapidly than ever before. The consumer gear line has always been on a 12-14 month cycle, and many cam companies follow this line of marketing/sales.
I've got 40 VAIO's that we bought cheap because we knew they were going to soon be discontinued. Got a great deal, but we knew what we were buying.
It's just the way business works.

Andreas Griesmayr January 31st, 2007 04:08 AM

but it is a founded 'hope' not fulfilled.
I don't call it 'promise' , on the operating instructions one could read 'not for sale'

Richard Iredale February 12th, 2007 03:50 PM

Amazingly, B&H Photo has this part in stock as of today. They say they have "plenty."

Since the part remains officially cancelled on the Sony Parts site, I'd suggest getting this ASAP. $20 + shipping.

C.S. Michael February 13th, 2007 12:47 PM

Richard, thanks for your post! I really wish I'd had this adapter 2 weeks ago (just got back from a sojourn in Moldova). My HC3 took some fantastic video in the former USSR; it's a shame about the audio.

I really think Sony needs to step it up with the next generation. The HC3 is a great little camera hamstrung by a mediocre onboard mic, and no easy way to beef it up. Canon is going to make waves with the HV20, which strikes me as an HC3 with 24p, CineGamma, and XLR capability via the adapter. When the HV20 hits the market, I'm afraid my HC3 will move on to its next owner.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 13th, 2007 12:53 PM

The HC3 was discontinued in October of 06, the HC5 and HC7 are the current models. The HC7 has external audio inputs for those that need it.

David Hobbs February 16th, 2007 10:31 PM

i ordered one from B&H and it should arrive Monday. I was in the Sony store yesterday and mentioned this adaptor and they would love to have them here in Australia. They are selling the HC3e here as current model - apparently the HC5 and HC7 are not available here yet. We're often several months behind the US in availability and price.

Oh, and Douglas Spotted Eagle, nice work on the VMS training DVD - I liked the short one included in the Platinum edition so much, I bought the full one!

Tyson Persall February 19th, 2007 05:53 PM

This is great news for me! The VMC-K100 is finnaly available! I have despritly wanted mic input for the HC3 -And for only $20 dollars! I would have paid $300 dollars for it. probably should have bought 2.

C.S. Michael February 20th, 2007 09:03 AM

My VMC-K100 should arrive today. I will post info when it does.

I'm thrilled that Sony is offering this mic adapter. Sure the HC3 is last year's model, but so is my car. I'd still like to have parts for it! :-)

I was previously planning to sell my HC3, but now we can pair quality audio with uncompressed visuals via the Blackmagic Intensity card (capturing via HDMI). The HC3 is an amazingly affordable, portable HD solution. Well done, Sony (and/or B&H).

Richard Iredale March 5th, 2007 12:50 AM

I've had the adapter for several weeks now and it works great. It's a tiny little thing, but attaches to the HC3 shoe with a reassuring click and provides the mic-in port on the left side.

C.S. Michael March 5th, 2007 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm enjoying mine also. I've connected an XLR mic (AT897) via a 1/8-inch to XLR adapter cable.

John McGinley March 23rd, 2007 04:22 AM

It's really hard for me to justify the purchase of an HC7 just to get a 'line in' port that Sony used to sell as an add-on for $20.

Kevin Lee March 28th, 2008 01:41 AM

Any idea if the VMC-K100 or a 3rd party alternative can be purchased?

A search online lists as discontinued and unavailable...

Saw the Microphone Unit Adaptor (No: AC-L15) that came supplied with a friend's HVR-A1. Assume that interfaces with the Sony Shoe.

That would be nice if available in some form..(standalone buy excl. cam) with 2 XLR inputs.

Thanks.