HDR-HC7 now shipping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDR-HC7 now shipping

The HDR-HC7 I had on pre-order from SonyStyle.com shipped this past Saturday, 01/27/07.
(When I ordered it, the website said it would be available on or about 02/19/07.)
I can't wait!

In case you're wondering, I ordered it from SonyStyle because I wanted to finance it (same as cash) over 6 months.
Dan Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Major Player

If you get a chance, would be very interested in hearing how it compares to either the HC1 or the HC3 in lowlight situations. thanks.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i wonder if it would be possible to convert x.v. color to format viewable on any tv?
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not unless you have this $33,000 tv!:

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/27466.html

Hopefully, this technology will filter down to cheaper HDTVs soon.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meek
i wonder if it would be possible to convert x.v. color to format viewable on any tv?
It’s just like playing back an HDV tape on a regular TV. The colors will be down converted automatically for regular TV sets.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Received the camcorder today (still waiting on my tape shipment).

From the HDR-HC7 manual:

"Set [X.V.COLOR] to [ON] only when the recorded content will be played back on an x.v.Color-compliant TV. Otherwise, set to [OFF] (the default setting).
If the movie recorded with this function [ON] is played back on a non-x.v.Color-compliant TV, the color may not be reproduced correctly.
[X.V.COLOR] cannot be set to [ON] when:
- Recording in DV format
- A movie is being recorded."
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #7
New Boot

[QUOTE=Dan Peterson]The HDR-HC7 I had on pre-order from SonyStyle.com shipped this past Saturday, 01/27/07.
(When I ordered it, the website said it would be available on or about 02/19/07.)
I can't wait!

Now that the Canon HV20 is out, are you having any second thoughts about the HDR-HC7? I'm hoping someone with a good working knowledge of consumer HD camera might do a side-by-side comparison of the spec's. Like you, I have a pre-order for the HDR-HC7. I'm not sure I could get out of it if I wanted to, but if I can it would have to be done quickly.
Ron Budworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ron,
So far I really like the HDR-HC7. Probably put down about 40 minutes of footage so far.
I'm not an expert, and I'm coming from an old Sony Hi-8 camcorder, which had GREAT low light capability, and the HDR-HC7 is not disappointing me in the low-light ability. (It's very good IMHO.)
About a year and a half ago I bought a Canon miniDV camcorder and it's low-light ability was horrific. I returned it the next day. Let's hope the HV20 is better.

I like the feel of the HDR-HC7, and the touchscreen is kind of nice too (didn't think I'd be saying that...One good thing is that you can change settings on the fly and it disables the default "beep" as you touch things so the sound doesn't interfere...)

The one thing I do NOT like is the manual focus "dial" (which can be assigned other functions). In order to use it properly you have to cup the front of the camcorder with the palm of the your left hand (if right-handed) and use your thumb to rotate it. This is the only stable way to use it. However, I'm only a hobbyist, and I'm not under too much stress about the need to manually pull focus. Love the histogram feature, too.

I'm of the mindset that once I make a purchase, I just won't fret about what comes on the market the next week. That's gonna happen, and I just live with it. The good news is that in five years I'll get to pull trigger on another camcorder purchase!

Dan
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Tourist

I'm loving mine too. I am VERY impressed with the HD footage. I honestly cannot believe how wonderful it looks played back on an HDTV.

I too do not get worked up about what is coming out next. I needed a camcorder and this one seemed great, so I just bit the bullet. I think Sony makes a great product.

The low light capability is pretty good. At first I was disappointed, but I think it was because I was comparing it to the outdoor footage with lots of light. Overall, I'm very impressed with it. I also do not really care for the dial. Maybe I need to get used to it, but as of now, I can't figure out how to spin it without shaking the heck out of the camera! Let me know if you have any tips!

Jeremy
Jeremy Ashley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series