24 frames on A1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old January 30th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Trustee

24 frames on A1U?

From Sony's pro site I see this as a feature for the A1U:

60i/30frame/sec, 24 frame/sec with 2:3 pulldown switchable

What exactly does this mean? Sorry for the stupid question.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Is that from A1U site, or V1U ???

I will try with this real basic explanation:

60i means you have sixty frames of video per second, each frame interlacing with another frame to make a full frame of video.

30 frames per second or 30P means that each frame is a full frame.

24 frames per second or 24P is desired by the "want film like video" crowd. Regular motion picture film operates at about 24 frames per second, and so 24P is supposed to mimic it.

I don't know exact particulars of pulldown, but I understand it has to do with method of encoding the 24 frames within a the 60i or 30 frame per second framework to produce the 24 frames per second.

I didn't know A1U did real 24p, don't believe it does, and I am wondering if they are refering to the Cineframe that is available on FX1 I have. I don't think that is considered real 24p.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
I will try with this real basic explanation:

60i means you have sixty frames of video per second, each frame interlacing with another frame to make a full frame of video.

30 frames per second or 30P means that each frame is a full frame.

24 frames per second or 24P is desired by the "want film like video" crowd. Regular motion picture film operates at about 24 frames per second, and so 24P is supposed to mimic it.

I don't know exact particulars of pulldown, but I understand it has to do with method of encoding the 24 frames within a the 60i or 30 frame per second framework to produce the 24 frames per second.

Thanks Chris, I fully understand fps and 60i, 30i/p and 24p. I just wanted to know specifically what it means by the "24 frame/sec with 2:3 pulldown switchable"... Is the wording on that site just wrong, as far as I knew my camera won't do 24fps, only the fake Frame mode.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, see my edit above. Sorry I might have misread post as wanting basic info.
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The Cineframe modes are supposed to reduce resolution. In addition, the 24 Cineframe has been bashed pretty heavily by the "video for film" crowd.

I never messed with it until just recently, and I think it has some potential in controlled situations.

However, the recommendations Ive seen from people who know about shooting for film out with the Sony cams, is that you shoot in 60i, and convert in post with something like DVFilm. See DVFilm.com
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Yep

That is what I figured and the reason I shoot 60i. I just hate how they word that, I have to keep checking the dang camera to make sure I'm not crazy, lol

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series