Watch.impress Sony HC7 review. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Watch.impress Sony HC7 review.

Japanese original
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...4/zooma295.htm

Translated version
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2Fzooma295.htm
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #2
New Boot

I've been looking forward to reading reviews of the HC7. I wanted to know especially how x.v.Color fared. The writer doesn't seem that impressed. He points out (and screenshots make evident) that greens look more natural but reds are shifted greatly toward magenta.

What are other sites saying about it?
Glen Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I would never, ever trust photographed images taken out of displays. The camera with its white balance settings will play a very big role and you can't capture and compare image quality that way.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Kim
He points out (and screenshots make evident) that greens look more natural but reds are shifted greatly toward magenta.
Maybe it wasn’t shot properly but what’s ironic about that, is that the Sony HC1 also had a red problem.
We’ll obviously have to wait until there are other reviews.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Kim
I've been looking forward to reading reviews of the HC7. I wanted to know especially how x.v.Color fared. The writer doesn't seem that impressed. He points out (and screenshots make evident) that greens look more natural but reds are shifted greatly toward magenta.
What are other sites saying about it?
You didn't mention what software you are using in Post. I use FCP and could see very little difference with x.v.Color on or off. It seems the Sequence color space defaults to 8 bit Ycc. Once I changed this to 10 bit, the colors were far more vivid and, at least on my monitor, well balanced across the spectrum. So far at least I haven't seen the color shift you mentioned. Did you play with the camera's color setting? You might back it off slightly to see if that helps your reds.
Ron Budworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Trustee

You know, this is going to be one expensive review. Even though Japan already has HDMI 1.3 complaint sets, they are going to be expensive when it first arrives to the US. It was bad enough trying to do a review for AVCHD camcorders knowing that you need a powerful computer.

Maybe Sony will be generous and allow the media to borrow a compatible set in order to test x.v.color natively from camcorder to TV.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series