HC5 tripod & lanc recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old February 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HC5 tripod & lanc recommendations

Hey -

I just got my new HC5 and need a good tripod and lanc setup. I was going to go with a Bogen 3051 but this cam is so tiny, I think it's now overkill. The lanc has to operate the focus, too, which many controllers don't.

Looking at stealthzoom for the lanc...

What are you using, how well does it work, any recommendations?

Thx
Art Willig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Art -

I believe the camera would have to have a "focus" function via the LANC to be able to adjust it with a remote (and yes it would be cooler than the mini roller do-hicky (which the 5 doesn't have) or the touchscreen... but I'd check your manual to see - I don't recalll seeing that capability having an "external" interface on any of my HC series... or in the manual for the 5/7.

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a varizoom - vz stealth with my hvr a1u, i love it and yes it can operate focus as well -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Jack Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #4
Major Player

If your looking for a simpler tripod with lanc, I'm pretty sure sony makes some.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
If your looking for a simpler tripod with lanc, I'm pretty sure sony makes some.
Sony VCT870RM does this and seems to be pretty popular with owners of HDV camcorders. They have other models too. Sony has used the 870 to show off their A1U, and it's not terribly expensive either.

Last edited by Jeff DeMaagd; February 28th, 2007 at 08:07 AM.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That mysterious LANC port

The RM series are nice tripods, but if he needs to be able to control focus... it does appear that the varizoom controller will do that - as long as it works with the camera. Another poster indicates it will - seems like a relatively cheap way to get a focus controller that is usable on the 5. Makes me start to ponder what ELSE can be accessed via the LANC port...

I know I found that the sports packs (for an HC3 and others) use a LANC port "hidden" in the "D" shaped A/V jack. I'm going to have to go back and look at the schematics more closely - see what OTHER control interfaces might be "hidden" within that mysterious "LANC" connnector.

Anyone out there have a comprehensive listing of the capabilities of a LANC port? I presume it is a "standard", and is published somewhere?

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:08 AM   #7
New Boot

I use the Velbon DV-7000 and the IR-Controller. It also works from behind.
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Anyone out there have a comprehensive listing of the capabilities of a LANC port? I presume it is a "standard", and is published somewhere?

DB>)
I'm new to the forums and am looking at the HC5 (possibly two) as an upgrade from my two TRV-840's. I'm also looking at getting a LANC zoom controller and would like also to know if these cameras will work with focus control. I was looking at this controller, http://www.studio1productions.com/zoom_controller.htm, and would be interested in a list of LANC support on the HC5. I do see in the owners guide that it (HC5) supports manual focus, and so the controller I'm looking at should work. Thanks for any input.

Thanks,
Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm reading that most will work with the HC1/3/5/7 cams...In fact, I've never read about any problem. Just make sure you can return it should anything surprising happen.
Art Willig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series