HC1 Rolling shutter questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Closed Thread

Old April 20th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC1 Rolling shutter questions

just a few questions on this:

i've noticed on my HC1 the output looks slanted (skewed) during fast pans - presumably due to the rolling shutter.

am i right in thinking that this effect will be diminished at higher shutter speeds?

also i've heard people say rolling shutter causes tearing - is that true?

do the HC3/7 also have rolling shutters? canon HV10/20?

and finally given the skewing of the image how does the image stabilisation work on the camera? does sony perform some deskewing or is the image just shifted?
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauritius Seeger View Post
am i right in thinking that this effect will be diminished at higher shutter speeds?
Hi - nope the effect will get MORE noticeable at fast shutter speeds.

The HC1 and Sony A1 seem to be the Sony HDV machines where this effect is most noticeable. Avoid using fast shutter speeds, and keep pans and zooms smooth and slow (and don't pan at telephoto if you can help it at all) and the effect should be much less noticeable.

Quote:
and finally given the skewing of the image how does the image stabilisation work on the camera? does sony perform some deskewing or is the image just shifted?
I dont think there is any electronic "deskewing" going on with the image. Thats just my opinion on that.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
really? strange. i wonder why that is. so essentially you trade off motion blur with skew.

is skew the only nasty side effect of the rolling shutter or are there other things i should know about?
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post

The HC1 and Sony A1 seem to be the Sony HDV machines where this effect is most noticeable.
To my eyes the HC3 and hv10 exhibit the exact same amount of "rolling". Haven't seen other cameras though.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
is skew the only nasty side effect of the rolling shutter or are there other things i should know about?
The skew happens because the upper part of the image is recorded earlier than the lower part. Side effects include tearing up of flashes (fireworks etc), strange bobbing when doing handheld shots that shake (upper part stops moving earlier than lower part), something going side to side will look skewed, something going up to down will look stretched etc.

It basically sucks. Higher shutter speeds will make it more apparent but there's always the same amount of skew anyway it's just easier to spot without motion blur.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #6

Once again, we've arrived "here."
There are enough threads out there on rolling shutter. Google the subject, and the majority of the hits point to here. In other words, it's a big issue for those that don't know how to manage the camera.
Rolling shutter can be avoided.
Avoid fast shutter on fast moving objects.
Avoid very fast movement of the camera with high shutter speeds.
Both of these practices will avoid rolling shutter issues on a CMOS camcorder.

Unless someone has something sigificant to add, please use the "Search" option on this website for more rolling shutter information.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series