How dub to my Home DVD recorder? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Major Player

Bottom line, is that this camera is recording in 16x9, even though, my TV is stone age 4x3, correct?
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM   #17
Wrangler

True, all HD is 16:9. But depending on the camera, you may have the option of converting it to 4:3 when downconverting to regular DV. My Z1 can do this either by letterboxing or chopping off the sides. Yours may not offer these choices.

But if you make the DVD correctly, the player itself will provide the letterbox on a 4:3 screen but send the full 16:9 image to a widescreen TV.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Ok just did some testing today, starting with the Sony DVD Recorder DRD-GX330.

On page 74 of manual it describes 3 modes, 16:9, 4:3 letterbox, and 4:3 pan scan.

It describes the letterbox and having black bars and pan scan as no black bars.

Everything I've recorded to this unit in last few months has NO black bars. ie 4:3 Pan Scan.

So it was odd when I navigated to video output for the first time and the setting was on 4:3 letterbox (which the manual says has black bars) --not pan scan

But more annoying was I recorded/tested in all three modes, 4:3, pan scan, and 16:9, and nothing changed -- all results came out as how I've been always getting same: pan scan ie, the screen all filled up, no black bars

In other words, no matter what I choose I get what they call 4:3 pan scan which fills up the whole screen. I just retested and this is what happens, and i link is on. (I've been dubbing from VHS for last few months and been getting this result too, pan scan which has been fine with me, and the setting has been on 4:3 letter box with black bars) but anyone have any clues why I don't get any change on this? thanks!
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Kevin - check the CAMCORDER - there's a setting in there for 4:3 or 16:9 - on my HC7 which should be almost the same, under standard settings there is "TV TYPE"...

Odds are pretty good your camcorder has the SAME setting (sold my 3, so can't check it...).

If you would take a bit of time and at least bring up the camera menus (I don't read manuals EITHER, so I HAVE to poke at the buttons if I want to figure out my toys!!), you'd find these things pretty fast...

OTOH, I just found a setting for LCD color which I'm going to have to toy with since the LCD looks bland compared to the one on the HV20... maybe I can adjust these!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #20
Major Player

thanks Dave, yes, I was going to go to the camera next, regardless of how the recorder worked out, but still curious about these issues with recorder I just mentioned. fairly bizarre or not?
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Carter View Post
So it was odd when I navigated to video output for the first time and the setting was on 4:3 letterbox (which the manual says has black bars) --not pan scan
Kevin, we just "aren't reaching each other" for some reason. Please read my post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Look through the menus and it would be under a heading like "record mode". You need to set the recorder for 16:9 if possible. If you can do this then the DVD's you burn will automatically be letterboxed when playing back on a 4:3 TV. Note that this is a different setting from the "screen size" menu which tells the DVD recorder what kind of TV it's connected to. That setting only affects playback. You need a setting to control the way the DVD is recorded.
You are looking (in your own words) at the OUTPUT menu. That determines how the playback function will handle widescreen video when it sends the image to your TV. It doesn't affect the way the video is RECORDED.

There should be a separate setting for the RECORD format of the video. You need to set that to 16:9. This will properly encode the widescreen material on the DVD. The other setting you tried may then be used to choose how you want to display the disk after it's recorded.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Hey guys, the torture chamber continues. I thought I had this down.
I'm on page 78 on manaul - hdr-hc3, only explanation I've ever succeeded in dubbing between these two camcorders, I own both.

I set up everything for HDV 1080 as I want that HD quality to be on the copy tape.

I set up record pause.

I have i link cord going between two camcorders, and now I get this message on the copy camcorder:

no output image, in "vcr hdv/dv, change format"

it's greek to me, if anyone can help I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm doing a project and connot continue until I get a safety copy
Now in the VCR HD/DV menu, if I choose, HDV, (which I want right? I shot in HD 1080 and I want my backup tape to be also HD 1080 right?) I get this message, no output image, in "vcr hdv/dv, change format"

But... if go back and choose auto, then I can make the back up tape, but I see "DV" in the upper left of the copy camcorder instead of HDV 1080.

Which, tell me I'm wrong, that the back up tape would not be true HD 1080 like the master tape is.

Can someone please help!!! thanks!
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #23
Inner Circle

The manual suggests setting the destination device to AUTO. Try setting both cams to AUTO and see if that changes anything. Then try setting them both to HDV.

i.LINK CONV is OFF on both, yes?

What's the 2nd camcorder? Another HC3?
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #24
Major Player

No, i link was On, on the main deck, so I turned it off and now it seems good to go. thanks for saving day here Adam! Man, so many little things to check for...
Kevin Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series