Digital Short Shot With HVR-A1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Digital Short Shot With HVR-A1U

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4qMrDZn57I (Full Version)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGqwGj2HPk (Balloon Sequence only)
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

good video i watched and though the footy looked real good. I did have troubles following the story a little but that is probably just me I am a little slow. So dont take that to heart. But I thought the angles look good and you moved the story along well. The lighting also looked good throught out did you light any of the parts or did you just use natural.

How do you like the A1u so far. I have had mine since fall it my first cam and i like it alot.
Darren Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Well, the camera (which I lent out) is mine, the film not so much. But I did work with my friends on it.

Story, yeah - hard to follow because it wasn't strong to begin with. Feels more like a snipet of a convo/aside rather than a full self-enclosed piece/story.

No extra lighting was used anywhere. Outdoor scenes were all natural light. Elevator scene was available light from the elevator lights, which actually are no where near enough lighting. Hard to tell on YouTube, but in full resolution, or even standard resolution, you can see lots of noise. That's one downfall of the A1 camera, which I'm sure the V1 and Z1 do much better at. Even still, that's no excuse for poor lighting, but we simply didn't have a small on-board light to attach onto the camera, and we couldn't figure out how to use those bigger plug-in lights in an elevator (or anywhere else that doesn't have outlets).

Personally, I love the A1 overall, but I have small gripes about it. The biggest being horrible low light quality. I also don't like:
1. focus ring
2. low res LCD
3. only one assignable button
4. only one CMOS
5. red --> lilac problem
6. bottom-loading for tapes
7. many of the advanced features are tedious to use because you have to use the menus
8. zoom is too fast unless you mess with certain settings
9. no push to focus feature unless you use certain LANC controllers
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Alex, what did you guys tweak to get Youtube to hold that quality?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Err...nothing? What do you mean? It was simply uploaded to YouTube normally. The file was around 80+ megabytes though at 720x405 resolution (1.000 pixel aspect ratio) .wmv file. YouTube of course downscales the resolution. The quality doesn't look that great to me though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Alex Thames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series