Firewire vs. USB connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Firewire vs. USB connection

Hello everyone,
When you see my name here, you'll know there will be a very basic question....

Can I capture HDV with a USB connection? I don't have a firewire connection for the HVR-A1U. Should it have come with the camera? Do I need to purchase one separately?

Thanks!
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No, the USB is version 1.1 which is far too slow for streaming HDV. You're gonna have to use firewire. Firewire PCI cards are very inexpensive right now.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Unfortunately, the DV/HDV standards basically require a Firewire connection, USB just doesn't operate that way.

Regarding the lack of a Firewire cable, as far as I hear, pretty much no camcorder supplies one. It's somewhat unfortunate but the cables aren't very expensive.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I picked up my PCI firewire card for 15$ from radioshack. It includes 2 firewire and 2 usp ports, and installed in about 15 minutes, and did not even need installation. My computer read the card without even needing the drivers.

I have heard that the audio can be severly affected when using a USB cable.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
Unfortunately, the DV/HDV standards basically require a Firewire connection, USB just doesn't operate that way.

Regarding the lack of a Firewire cable, as far as I hear, pretty much no camcorder supplies one. It's somewhat unfortunate but the cables aren't very expensive.
I'll look for a firewire cable right away! Not sure who sells it, but I guess I'll start with B&H photo/video where I got the camera.

Thanks for the help.
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Konits View Post
Not sure who sells it
Luckily, they arne't hard to find. You should be able to find a Firewire cable at any good computer store.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Konits View Post
I'll look for a firewire cable right away! Not sure who sells it, but I guess I'll start with B&H photo/video where I got the camera.

Thanks for the help.
Cindy, your local Walmart or Target both will have 4 pin and 6 pin firewire cables.
You'll need 4 pin for the camera end, and 6 pin for the computer end (unless you're using a PC laptop, some of the PC laptops have 4 pin connectors on them vs 6 pin).
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series