wireless mic with HVR-A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wireless mic with HVR-A1

Here is another very basic question...I apologize in advance....
I am trying to use a wireless mic instead of the mic that came with the HVR-A1. When I connect it to the XLR port, it doesn't override the internal mic in the camera. What am I missing?
Cindy
Cindy Konits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The only thing I can think of as an A1 owner myself is that your Active Interface Shoe connector isn't connected properly. I know when I use my wireless (both the mini jack and the XLR jack) they override the internal mics.
Jason Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jason,
Thank you for your response. I bet you're right....I do have trouble with the Active Interface Shoe. I imagine it would be hard to explain the right way to connect it. I might have to take the camera in to a Sony dealer.
Cindy
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If your AIS connector is like mine, and it should be, there is an arrow on the top of it. There is also a beveled edge on the top right hand side of it. The arrow should point toward the front of the camera, and the beveled edge should be top right when looking down at it. It should just slide into the AIS connector on the amera and feel "locked" in once it's connected. Hope this helps
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you again Jason! I think I've got it. While we're here...I have a few more audio questions... Is it possible to adjust audio levels while recording? It seems to me that it is all automatic. I assume the volume control in the menu is related only to what I hear through the headphones and not actual volume, right? If not, that would be a very odd way to adjust levels...
Cindy
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You can adjust the mic input levels while recording by going through the menu...follow these steps:

menu - standard set - xlr set

from here you can adjust both channels 1 and 2. If you set the levels manually, you will notice that back on the main screen, while recording, you will have sound level meters on the LCD screen. These don't display in the "auto" setting.

The only problem with this, is that the A1U's menu is of course a touch screen, and you might find it difficult to do this while recording without camera shake.

Hope this helps
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Major Player

The XLR set is one of the settings I keep in my PMenu. Shooting weddings, I've had to use it often (no wireless yet) going from vales to screaming organ at recessional. It reduces the number of screen touches as little.
Old June 25th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox View Post
The XLR set is one of the settings I keep in my PMenu. Shooting weddings, I've had to use it often (no wireless yet) going from vales to screaming organ at recessional. It reduces the number of screen touches as little.

I'm not sure why it took me so long to add xlr to my personal menu, but I just did it...duh
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #9
New Boot

Off topic a bit but which wireless mic did you go with and how do you like it? :)
Manuel Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Guzman View Post
Off topic a bit but which wireless mic did you go with and how do you like it? :)
For now I am still using the stock xlr that came with it. Cash is tight after buying the glidecam, HVL-20DW2 etc etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series