HC7 rolling shutter & match-moving at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:34 AM   #1
Major Player

HC7 rolling shutter & match-moving

Hi there,

Does the HC7 have a rolling shutter like the HV20? I ask because I'm keen to buy a cheap HDV camera that I can (occasionally) use for capturing footage for match-moving using SynthEyes. The HV20 has a rolling shutter which causes match-moving-killing distortions.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, all CMOS cameras have rolling shutters. The Z1 and FX1 are probably the only cameras suitable for what you're doing since they are 3ccd.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi,

Thanks loads for your reply.

Sorry, I suppose my question isn't so much "does the HC7 have a rolling shutter" so much as "is the HC7's rolling shutter significantly faster (and hence less of an issue) than the HV20's?"

I have read that the HC7 produces significantly less "rolling-shutter" artefacts than the HV20 (also, I believe that it is possible to produce a CMOS sensor which outputs full frames - e.g. the Red One's sensor).
Old June 21st, 2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

After my trial with filming a spinning CD at 1/725, there's just a slight and not extreme curve distortion in the moving part of the picture so it might be faster.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Great, thanks loads for running that test.

If you have an HC7, please may I ask you to perform another simple test so we can determine whether or not it has a rolling shutter:

Do several quick pans past any vertical lines (e.g. pan past a door or street lamp). Then play back the footage. Are the vertical lines still vertical?

Here's an example of what happens when you do fast pans on the HV20:

http://www.ssontech.com/content/crooked.mov

Many thanks,
Jack

[edited by mod; please do not post links to outside sites like this]

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; June 23rd, 2007 at 07:56 AM. Reason: links removed
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi again,

My apologies - I should have searched the forums more thoroughly before posting - there's another "rolling shutter" forum post on DVinfo here:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95437

I propose that we stop this "HC7 rolling shutter & match-moving" thread and continue the discussion over on the "rolling shutter and lightning footage" thread.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #7
Major Player

I'll bet that its the same speed in all of these hdv-cmos-cameras. 1/60th of a second it takes for the cmos to scan the picture.

The difference that HV20 "apparently" has is because it has a 24f mode that shows the distortions more. When you use 60i it will look the same as in hc7 etc.

HC1 seems to have the same amout of rolling shutter as hc3 and hv20. I haven't used the hc7 so it is plausible that there is improvement though I doubt it.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series