My HC7 LCD has blotches - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old September 4th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #16
Inner Circle

After we get it back (which currently it still hasn't even been received by the customer service desk...), we might go to a different local Sony authorized repair shop and specifically ask for them to replace the LCD cause it's really annoying to me in bright sunlight. It's like a mirror ball when you reflect sunlight off the blotches.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Ok, it's back, and they've updated their explanation by saying I have sharp nails which pierced the LCD and started the delamination and is NOT covered by the warranty... **bleep**!

And the price to replace the LCD is as same as buying a new camera. I can't believe those **bleep**...

Either I'm stuck with a really annoying blotched LCD or I should do something about it... I could use some real help here! The sooner the better cause I'm very pissed.

Edit: Sorry, I was venting a lot of steam on that post, We'll try to take it in on Monday to a local service center and bring a printout of this thread and the pictures.
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Jack -

One thing that I notice - the blotches seem to not correspond to the virtual "buttons" of the touchscreen - that suggests to me that it may be something other than "sharp nails"...

I'm going to guess from your previous posts that there is some foreign liquid (possibly from your cleaning technique?) trapped between the layers rather than a "delamination" - you might want to download the service manual for this model (PM if it's not on the Sony site, I've got it), you'll see the LCD has lots of layers, and ANYTHING gets in between any of them, and you've got a mess. Not certain that it would look like your blotches, but possibly.

Parts are exceedingy expensive on new cameras - it's sort of crazy. I quoted the board I needed to replace, and it was half the camera price... ended up with a cheaper solution... just bought import batteries that bypass the problem.

Not sure what to suggest, if you were nearby, I'd say pop in and disassemble your cam and see what's reallly going on! Depending on how handy you are, all you really need is a jewlers screwdriver, probably some magnifying glasses, and extreme patience with infinitesibly small things, and don't forget to discharge that nasty capacitor properly...

HTH
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I don't think it's water, the blotches on the edges looks like sharp streaks.

Plus, disassembling something for me usually means it's broken for sure. I'll just go to the service center.
Old September 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
... disassembling something for me usually means it's broken for sure. I'll just go to the service center.
he he he, I know what you mean by that, but these are almost idiot proof, stilll not a recommended procedure for a novice.

Looked at the service manual, and there is a part referred to as a "cusion, tp", part 558, pn 2-672-277-01 that appears to be the top layer over the touchpad - if indeed this is a "surface" damage (shine light off the surface, can you see scratches or other damage on the OUTSIDE surface of the LCD?), I think that specific layer shouldn't cost too much, and would fix you up - labor will kill ya, but it would save on parts. I'm sure you don't need the whole LCD block, which is undoubtedly expensive, but more likely one layer of the assembly (there are 10-11 by my count on the parts diagram). if it's the touchscreen layers, those could hurt.

NOW, if you cannot see surface damage, then IMO Sony gave you a bogus diagnosis - if your nails are "sharp", they should have scratched the surface layer as well as caused "delamination" - Sony used to supply stylii with their touch screen cams, so they ought to stand up to a "sharp" point, I should think.

See what another repair center says, worst case keep an eye out for a "parts cam" - probably any of the XX7 series, and perhaps some of the other sony models - many parts are interchangeable.

I'd have a cam for parts for ya, but it turned out to work fine if I bypass the battery and use the cheap import batteries with a bypass to the DC in... got lucky on fleabay!

DB>)
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I think I see surface damage cause there are outlines where the Blotches are.

And now the blotches leave fingerprints. So I guess it's the top protective layer that's de-laminating. Poor manufacturing perhaps? The pixels and the touchscreen sensors however are totally unaffected. The incident on the plane with the malfunctioning touchscreen might've been to some abnormal radiation or something else.

Maybe after cleaning the layer under the protective one (is it cleanable?), then replacing the protective layer only, it'll be fixed. But I'm not doing it, the service people will.

I'm probably gonna need that service manual so e-mail me from the boards to find out my e-mail address and send it over.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; September 9th, 2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Jack -
PM'd you, sounds to me like you could just replace that first layer, and I think one of those protective films might be in order - can't imagine what would scratch up the film, but at least it's surface, and if you can get that first layer as an individual part, you should be set.

DB>)
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I sent it in to the Sony Western Canada service center in Coquitlam and hopefully they might be able to replace the top layer.
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Update: It has been FIXED under the 1 year warranty by the Sony serivce center.

But there's a downside... I have to wait till Monday to pick it up cause they notified us just as they were closing FRIDAY... very lackluster of Sony Canada...
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Ok, finally got it back with no blotches...

But there was a catch.

In my final notes it says:

"This is not a Manufacturer's defect.
As a one time good will gesture Sony of Canada will cover the replacement of the LCD
Excessive rubbing or some cleaning solutions will cause this type of wear and tear."

I'm not sure if my new one has either a Gloss or Semi-gloss screen. The sun does reflect very well at an angle on this new screen but I'm not sure if that means it's glossed.

The part they purchased was a "TP BLOCK ASSY (27ESHGU07)"... Which is unfortunately.... The LCD and touchscreen layer. Ouch.

The blotches did scrape all the way down to the touchscreen layer and might've caused some uncleanable damage... Luck ran out there...

Now the big question, should I get a screen protector ASAP?
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #26
Inner Circle

for the couple $ that a screen protector costs, I'd say it's good insurance...
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Just got one 13 pack of protectors (non-standard size, in fact, they're Palm Pocket PC protectors), tried a few times wasting a few... but finally got one on. Now back to filming...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series