HVR-a1u versus Canon GL2 w/ ma-300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
New Boot

HVR-a1u versus Canon GL2 w/ ma-300

Which would you pick? I have been researching them for a little while now and cannot make my choice. These are the things that matter most to me in order.

Picture quality
Sound quality and ability to have multiply different mic set ups
Price - that is why i am choosing between these 2
Derrick Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

HMmm

Yeah I dont know much about the Canon Gl2 but what it looks like, if you have the Gl2 with Ma adapter and get a nice shot gun mic the sound quality would be about the same and you would have the same mic flexiblity.

But with teh A1U it already come with a mic setup which is nice. i shoot alot of club footage with mine and alot of the time am standing right next to speakers and it never distorts the sound which is really nice. Only time I have really had problems was when I was on stage at a concert because those speakers are crazy big.

As far a a image quality the A1u shoots great stuff. Its low is not so good but I have been able to make it work for me by adjusting shuttter speed and working with the apature. But the gl2 might be better in this department. Umm A1U does shoot HDv though so I dont really know if that matter to you at all but it looks great to say the least.

I guess i would suggest just checking out as much footy from both. I can send you links to some of mine if you want and you can probably find gl2 footy somewhere too.
Darren Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM   #3
New Boot

yeah i saw some footage from both, what i am worried about is the low light. Both seem to be about the same, and i am really stuck as to which one i should purchase.

If you have a link for some of your footage, i would like to see it.
Derrick Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Video quality - There's no comparison between an HDV and an DV camera. Any HD footage is going to look worlds better. Also, it has native 16:9, where the GL2 does not.

Sound - If you have the XLR adapter for the GL2, then the GL2 wins in this category, as I believe (not sure, I don't have the A1, I have the HC1) that it doesn't have physical volume control buttons. The GL2 has two knobs for volume control of each channel. Although the A1 comes with a decent shotgun mic already, while the GL2 just has its internal mic on the end of the handle.

The GL2 has better manual control however. So keep that in mind. What's more important to you? Full manual control and a bigger camera? Or the image quality jump that you'll see with the HDV camera? What are you going to be using this for?
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM   #5
New Boot

I am going to use it for short skits for fun, and recording events for money. I already went and bought the GL2. I was getting frustrated looking on e-bay and BHphoto and every gimick site out there that has jap version, so i just sat down and bought it from bhphoto, not sure if that was the correct buy but it's done now.

Looking for a camera is a stressful thing for your first one. Now i need a better editing software. I have vegas movie 6 right now.
Derrick Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series