Sony HVR-HD1000U Shoulder Mount for $1900 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old August 25th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #61
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
Does this mean there will be a shoulder mounted Z1U/V1U-esque HDV camera...?
See also http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91617
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #62
Major Player

Thanks guys. (And for you forum presence in general, I think I've learned so much just by lurking in these forums.)

Yeah Chris I read that post and Paulo I also saw that camera at the Sony booth at NAB. The guys working the Sony booth told me that the camera's details were still being worked out by the engineers and to take the details advertised with a grain of salt.

The mock up at NAB didn't have the interchangeable lens option. I thought that glass case HDV camera became the HD1000U.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #63
Regular Crew

regardless of nitpicking quality, I'm so happy the HD middle ground is finally starting to be established. We've had all the high end cameras, recently the consumer cameras, now we are starting to see the middle ground be established.
Matt Headley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Don't think you'll ever see an SD card on a Sony product. Up until they announced Express Card compatibility through SxS for XDCAM EX, their flash memory format of choice has always been their own proprietary Memory Stick, and that's not going to change.
In addition to David's remark, some Sony still cameras also take Compact Flash cards. My DSC F-828 for example - I have a 4GB Hitachi Microdrive spinning in it.
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #65
Obstreperous Rex

Granted, that some Vaio laptops accept SD cards and other types of flash memory; and that some Sony digicams accept Compact Flash. However, I stand by my assertion that it is highly unlikely that Sony will ever use anything other than Memory Stick or SxS flash memory on their pro, semi-pro or consumer video product line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Lotsa Buzz

Well...if Sony's monitoring the buzz going on on the many video forums, they're probably grabbing all this feedback they're getting. I do agree with the many posters that say that without going to 3 full chips, it's just a "shoulder fired" version of the HVR-A1U. We know they're targeting the wedding/event crowd, but even we want more functionality--and manual control. Sony, keep working...we're watching!!

Out.
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #67
Inner Circle

I think based on all the discussion -- speculation -- here and elsewhere, it seems that it is indeed a tricked out HC7.

But that doesn't make it a bad cam or even a bad value. The use of the term "pro" in all the press materials notwithstanding, this clearly isn't meant for anyone who has a broadcast destination in mind, but could prove very useful in the wedding, education and corporate areas.

The pros are looking down their noses -- or are they turning them up? -- at this unit because it's too downscale for them. But how many times have you seen wedding videographers scurrying around with their little HC3s? Many shoot with Z1s and Canon H1s as their primary rig, but use the little palmcorders as B-Roll cams, and it doesn't inspire confidence among their clients. And that's nothing to be laughed at when you're around Bridezillas and their very nervous parents who have blown eighty grand on a party. Fair or not, when they see you with the same cam they can pick up at Best Buy, they're thinking, "I'm paying how much for this?"

Or picture the corporate guy who wants to look like a hero for purchasing a "pro" camera at a bargain price in some company A/V unit. He can pick up a couple of these for a song in this age of corporate belt tightening when companies are never willing to pay for the best quality -- just what's good enough to get by.

Or take my situation. I don't make a living at this and probably never will. I mostly do charity and community work as a way of giving back after 25 years in the TV business in LA and NY. Now I shoot a lot of sports videos, first with my VX2000 as my primary (only) cam and now with my FX1 as "A" cam and two HC3s as B and C. Scurrying around with an HC3 and shooting tape of 14-year-old girls from up in the tress -- "honestly, officer, it's the best angle; I'm with the team, I swear!" -- I'm just an obnoxious parent at best and a creepy guy in sweats at worst. But with an HD1000 on my shoulder I'm The Team Videographer.

Perception does matter. Ergonomics matter more. And even if this thing is no better than an HC7, which is no slouch, the form will make it much easier to work with and get stable video while handholding. And note that while it obviously isn't close to the high-end Canons in terms of features, the form factor is actually better -- with the weight of the battery pack and some camera body behind your shoulder, it's more neutrally balanced, leaving your right hand free to point, steady and work controls, not support the weight of the cam, something no shoulder brace (save for the CB-105 I just bought on EBay) can claim.

So I don't think we should sell this one short just yet.

Of course, after it comes out we may discover it to be a piece of junk, and then the derisive snarkiness is appropriate. But for now it's on my radar screen, and I'll be waiting to find out more about it, and potentially a higher end version. Sure, I'd love a V1 with this shape; who wouldn't? But if one of the HC3s croaks -- and maybe even if it doesn't -- I think this baby would come in handy.

I applaud Sony for trying to fill a niche, however small it may be. Certainly nobody else is trying to do so -- not at this price point.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #68
Regular Crew

A viable option

I agree with Adam. Though an FX1 or some other camera would be better, this is a viable option. Better than using the hc3 or hc7, though they are good 2nd cams or B cams themselves for the price.

We should not expect this camera to be feature laden, but it should be usable enough for the task. If we want more, we should dish out U$3,000 or more for a better camera.

True, those who know, will not consider this highly. But the typical consumer doesn't know that. What he sees is a shoulder mount camera that is imposing, especially with the large microphone sticking out. And if this thing can do decently, then it would be a good 2nd cam.

Looking at the photos of the this cam, it looks pretty basic. The controls are few and does the basic stuff. f1.8 lens ranging from 40-400mm 35mm equivalent. The ring is programmable but I bet the way to change it would require you to dig thorough menus.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wall View Post
Well...if Sony's monitoring the buzz going on on the many video forums, they're probably grabbing all this feedback they're getting. I do agree with the many posters that say that without going to 3 full chips, it's just a "shoulder fired" version of the HVR-A1U. We know they're targeting the wedding/event crowd, but even we want more functionality--and manual control. Sony, keep working...we're watching!!

Out.
Well I am happy with it, except I would prefer 720p25/50 at this data rate. If they are listening, they could scrap all this consumer 1080 stuff, and go 720p. I would prefer better codec/data-rate for 1080p25/50 and even more for p50 for professional.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez View Post
The controls are few and does the basic stuff. f1.8 lens ranging from 40-400mm 35mm equivalent. The ring is programmable but I bet the way to change it would require you to dig thorough menus.
Wow, that's pretty disappointing. While I don't expect XH A1 level controls, something more than a "manual" button would be nice. Thought the lens might be bigger (better low light) but it seems to be the same little lens with nothing but a massive lens hood and a plastic barrel build around it.

Still, it looks good on the tripod, and for certain markets, that's worth a lot in itself. Plenty of room on there to apply a decal for a local cable channel or a business logo. I wonder how much it weighs?
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #71
Inner Circle

I think it would be nearly identical to the HC7.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #72
Regular Crew

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5HmX6GlKCFo

Mmmmm, promotional video. Don't think this has been posted on here yet.
Old October 6th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post

3 1920x1080 global shutter CMOS sensors capturing in H.264 at 100Mbps in 1080p60.
Nice dream. You probably only need one sensor if its big enough. Dream for the Nikon D3 sensor in a video recorder.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #74
Inner Circle

Professional appearance

I like the wording Sony uses on their UTube promotional: Professional appearance... no claims for actual professional quality.

IMO this camera will satisfy the needs of the majority of wedding videographers.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #75
Trustee

I didn't know that Sony aquired fischer price. (It doesn't look pro to me at all, more like a cheapo RCA VHS I tossed out a few years ago).

What's with the large storage compartment in the back for? It's gotta be hollow. You can fill it with candy and hang it like a Piņata for the kids after you encouter your first low light situation and give up. :)

I'm kidding. I'm sure Sony knows theres a market for it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000