Sony HVR-HD100 VS GY-HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old April 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Considering that I did a two camera shoot with both of these cameras, I crown myself able to answer your questions reasonably well.

The overall quality differences are noticeable to me but possibly not to your clients or for your work.

The two cameras actually mixed together very well during the edit. I had to boost the chroma and do some video level adjustments on the HD1000 footage to get it looking good next to the HD100. I kept the HD1000 on close-ups since the single chip has a harsher image with details.
Wow do I find this post to be so interesting! It is the exact set up I currently have "found" myslef in.

I guess I need to start from the begining.....

Im obviously new to the business of filming weddings/events. I sort of stumbled upon this as a hobby of creating DVD movies from family photos and home videos. I got so heavily involved in using Apple's Final Cut Studio that I was soon being asked to help edit Public Service Announcements for American Airlines.

This led to a business of "editing" other peoples videos. Many have told me to get into the wedding business since the end product would be very unique compared to what is currently being provided.

An unckle in NYC gave me a JVC HD100 with all the accories you could possibly imagine. He got it for his son to shoot a Rap Video and once that fell apart it all just sat in a closet never being used.

Since I have one free camera I decided to buy the Sony HD1000 so that my Dad and I can shoot Weddings/events as a 2 camera operation.

This is my observation so far:
The look of the Sony blows away the JVC. The JVC seems to have a more smooth yet dark flat movie/film like image. Where as the Sony has a crisp hard vivid and bright image.

The Sony just seems more appropriate for Wedding/church events.

When I film and go HDMI out of the Sony to a TV its nothing short of pure 1080 yummy!

Plug the JVC into a TV and I just don't get that "WOW" factor. The image is nice but doesnt blow me away.
One last thing I noticed is that the JVC's LCD does NOT show you what you are filming!! Its horrible!! The LCD shows everything perfect meanwhile the image on TV is totally out of focus!!

At least the Sony LCD shows me EXACTLY what I'm filming.

That's my 3 cents for what its worth.
Johnnie Caraballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Johnnie, if you don't like the JVC HD100 maybe I could buy you an HD1000 and then we trade (I'm not joking).

Do you use the focus assist on the JVC? Are you shooting HDV24/30p? I just can't imagine the Sony 1080i consumer cam beating the JVC's 720p hands down. HDMI and component output from both cameras would have an equally wow image factor (other than the motion difference).
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I have to agree that the HD1000 is probably better for weddings and events. The HD100 needs a bit more light and is more expensive to accesorize. The HD1000 is low priced and the wide angle lens is only $150 or less. However I am using HD100s for two concert shoots this year and not HD1000s.

That said I want your camera as well. If you ever think of selling give a line and we'll make some deal if the economy hasn't sunk everyone by then.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
Do you use the focus assist on the JVC? Are you shooting HDV24/30p? I just can't imagine the Sony 1080i consumer cam beating the JVC's 720p hands down. HDMI and component output from both cameras would have an equally wow image factor (other than the motion difference).
My Dad did indeed use "Focus Assist" and shot the video in 30p in hopes that it would match the 60i on the Sony Camera. 24p looks horrid - Great for film but way too soft for weddings and just seems dull compared to the vivid colors of the Sony.

Both Cameras hooked up directly to a Plasma TV:
JVC = DVD
Sony = Blue Ray Disc

My Dad and I are seriously looking into have identical cameras and getting rid of the JVC. The JVC has MAD accessories that we don't need or use. The Hard cases for all the stuff is crazy to lug around.
Meanwhile my one soft bag for the Sony fits everything and is more convenient for grab and go shooting.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:21 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
That said I want your camera as well. If you ever think of selling give a line and we'll make some deal if the economy hasn't sunk everyone by then.
I will keep in touch after talking to my Dad about it.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #21
Trustee

Johnnie,

Please take the time to tweak and know your JVC. I can understand what your saying because out of the box the JVC looks dull and flat, but once you tweak it using the color settings mentioned on another thread, trust me. You'll have a great camera.

The jvc hd100 a professional camera compared to a consumer camera like the sonyhd1000.

I have both cameras.

one is for weddings and events the other is used for shooting commercials and digital cinema material. Its obvious to an experienced user which is which.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000