Cleaning up Image Noise in Post - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old January 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Major Player

grain removal in a 64-bit install of vegas 9

So I am wrapping a wedding edit (Shot on my HD1000U and PD170) and have a few scenes with horrendous color noise issues. I have upgraded to a Win 7 64-bit machine and from what i can tell, NeatVideo is only for a 32-bit install. Do you guys have any recommendations for correcting this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning up Image Noise in Post-noise1.jpg  
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

32-bit software should still run on the 64-bit Windows 7, via it invoking "XP mode".

Have you tried getting it to install?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #18
Major Player

Unfortunately my system crashes when i enable VM in the bios and according to the manufacturer (EVGA) forum this is a known issue without support at this time. So I cannot install the XP virtual machine mode. Is there something close to NeatVideo for a 64 bit system?
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #19

Would it be easier to install it on a friends computer and use that one for the video processing?

Andrew
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Andrew,
Thanks for your thoughts. I am guessing since no one else is chiming in with ideas that there isn't anything else that comes close. Guess I will dust off my old XP core 2 quad machine and run it through on that. I was really hoping there was something else or that a 64-bit version existed even though it wasn't on the website...
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #21

Not to worry. At least you are able to get the job done rather than hitting a dead-end.

Kinda interesting how we all work with the idea that everything should be achievable on a single computer.

Andrew
Old January 7th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #22
Major Player

Not to get too far off-topic but I say we should be able to do it all on one computer that is a tablet laptop weighing no more than 3 lbs. with 72 hrs of battery life, dual i7 processors and 24 GB of ram with full hdmi/7.1 surround out has a BD-r DL burner and costs less than $500. But as you pointed out dreams and reality are often very different.

I just hate going back to the C2Q machine because it is so much slower when working with the HDV clips...

Heck as long as we are dreaming, I wish Sony would give us faithful HD1000U users free upgrades to an HD2000U that had XDCAM EX and 3 huge CMOS sensors and low-light capability to rival my old pd170...but I will stick to my HD1000U and just try to figure out better ways to fix this in post. :)
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #23
Major Player

It takes along time to render so maybe you're better off with the second computer.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:03 AM   #24
Inner Circle

MSU's denoising filter (for VirtualDub) is one of the best I've ever seen.

MSU Denoiser Filter
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
So I am wrapping a wedding edit (Shot on my HD1000U and PD170) and have a few scenes with horrendous color noise issues. I have upgraded to a Win 7 64-bit machine and from what i can tell, NeatVideo is only for a 32-bit install. Do you guys have any recommendations for correcting this? Thanks!
Hey man I feel your pain. We recently upgraded to macs here at the studio so now all is well, but before we had a pc with xp 64 on it and there were days when I wanted to throw it in the street. We were constantly running into compatibility issues with the 64 bit platform. I understand the industry is moving toward 64 bit OS but for me at this point I don't see a real gain in performance over the 32 bit stuff. Snow Leopard can boot in 64 when I want to but for now we're sticking to 32. Hope you figure it all out and you have better luck with 64 than me.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post
Hey man I feel your pain. We recently upgraded to macs here at the studio so now all is well, but before we had a pc with xp 64 on it and there were days when I wanted to throw it in the street. We were constantly running into compatibility issues with the 64 bit platform. I understand the industry is moving toward 64 bit OS but for me at this point I don't see a real gain in performance over the 32 bit stuff. Snow Leopard can boot in 64 when I want to but for now we're sticking to 32. Hope you figure it all out and you have better luck with 64 than me.
We see a huge performance boost in working with HD clips in a 64-bit environment. The additional ram really speeds up rendering and has made a huge difference in preview playback. The 64-bit compatibility can be an issue, though.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #27
Major Player

NeatVideo Pro has a 64-bit version.

So I reached out to the technical staff at NeatVideo and here is what they had to say:

Quote:
Pro : commercial version ($99.90); 32-bit AND 64-bit;

32-bit plug-in works in Vegas Pro 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 (32-bit)
and Vegas Movie Studio 9 / 8 / 7 / 6;

64-bit plug-in works in Vegas Pro 9 / 8.1 (64-bit)

So, the 64-bit plug-in, which works in Vegas 9 Pro 64-bit, is currently available only in the commercial Pro edition.

If you want to evaluate the quality of the Neat Video noise reduction before purchase please consider testing the free Demo plug-in in a 32-bit version of Vegas. Both 32-bit Vegas and 32-bit Neat Video Demo plug-in can be installed and used in any Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit one.

We will probably add 64-bit support to non-Pro editions of Neat Video plug-in in the future as 64-bit Vegas and Vegas Movie Studio become more widespread as compared with 32-bit versions.

Hope this helps,
Vlad

Support, Neat Video team, ABSoft
mailto:support@neatvideo.com http://www.neatvideo.com
They also sent me this link for more information.

http://www.neatvideo.com/news.html#N...-bit-2009-6-26

So the lesson here is, as great as DVInfo is for information, sometimes you need to go to the source. I should also note that I got both replies in approx 30 min after sending inquiry on a Sunday night. Talk about great support! Top notch product and support, gotta love it.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
We see a huge performance boost in working with HD clips in a 64-bit environment. The additional ram really speeds up rendering and has made a huge difference in preview playback. The 64-bit compatibility can be an issue, though.
Even in 64 bit, an iMac that has a 8gig ram limit can't use more than 8 gigs right? That was my understanding at least.
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #29
Trustee

For anyone using Vegas that needs noise reduction Mike Crash has a number of free plugins ported from the best of the open source ones including a noise reduction plugin. I haven't tried the Neat Video plugin but those that have tried both claim Mike's is as good if not better. For the price it's certainly worth a try: Mike Crash Homepage - Content

As for the HD1000, I have the HC5 which is pretty much the same camera. We use it to shoot stage productions a B cam next to my EX1. Most of those sample shots look overexposed to some extent. Try setting Scene Selection to Spotlight. We go further and set EV Offset to -1.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:19 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post
Even in 64 bit, an iMac that has a 8gig ram limit can't use more than 8 gigs right? That was my understanding at least.
I am not sure about macs since I don't use them. I believe the O/S limit for Windows 7 Ultimate is 192GB but my motherboard maxes out at 24GB. I am currently running 12GB of ram until the price comes down on the 4GB ram sticks.

Bob,
I really like Mike Crash's plug-ins but have not re-installed them since upgrading systems. I will have to see if they are 64-bit install compatible. Thanks for the reminder.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000