Shooting in 30p versus 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting in 30p versus 24p

Hi Everyone!

I'm beginning new projects, and wanted to get an opinion on which speed to shoot at. I'm using the V1U. The first project is a series of short documentary style pieces on an AIDS camp in the Bahamas and an orphanage in the Bahamas. These are going to be more cinematic and won't have a ton of fast movement or action, if any at all. The second project is a series of promotional videos for a children's center and intern program. This is going to be fast paced, and will probably involve shots of kids doing activities, sports, etc. Lots of movement.

While I love the look of 24p, it doesn't do well with lots of movement/action, especially fast movement. It's also a real pain to edit (still working through that...I'm about to update to FCS2, and I'm not well versed yet in how it handles this issue).

I haven't done much with 30p yet. From my understanding, it looks better than 60i (less video-like) and handles motion better than 24p. However, I've never edited in 30p. What is that process like/what is involved in that? How do I extract that from the 60i stream?

So, what do you think? What tips would you have?

Thanks!
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Major Player

It depends on your NLE.

Frankly though, I'd recommend shooting 60i.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm going to be using Final Cut Studio 2. Why would you say 60i as opposed to the other formats?
Katie Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello,

I've always preferred the look and feel of progressive formats (24, 30, or 60) of any kind compared to interlaced video. As far as the fast action goes, I would recommend going through a few test runs. Try shooting traffic on a street corner, for example, and compare different set ups with tight framing. Remember to not just compare the look of 24p, 30p and 60i but also to try different shutter speeds such as 1/100 and 1/250. Also keep in mind that you can always step down to 24p from 30p to deliver. So, a fair strategy could be to shoot 30p up front and work out the final look in post.

Good luck with your project,
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Both 24p and 30p will have a strobby look when objects move rapidly. 60i will render motion without artifacts. 60p will do it even better.

Shutter-speeds above 1/60th will add to the strobbing. Shutter-speeds lower than 1/48th will be too blurred.

30p can't be converted to 24p. 60i can, however, be converted to 24p.

30p is much easier to edit unless you use Vegas and looks just like 24p. So if you want the strobby look -- use 30p.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Major Player

I agree with Steve on this. I've said before that when I bought the camera that I thought 30p would be the setting I would use anytime I didn't want the 24p aesthetic, but I find myself preferring 60i.

Aside from how easy it is to edit and share 60i footage, it handles motion better than anything else. And if necessary, de-interlacing in post is a very simple task.

If you plan to submit your film to a distribution house, I would expect them to prefer 60i to 30p. But if you do decide you'd rather shoot 30p I'm sure you won't be stuck.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7