V1E - Steadyshot degrading picture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 16th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1E - Steadyshot degrading picture

I've isolated the problem with vertical fine grey lines to the use of steadyshot (any mode). Can anyone else try this out for me... Film something light coloured and smooth - such as kids plastic toy (yellow works best, best in daylight) then compare the scene with steadyshot on and off.

When I do this I see very fine grey vertical lines meshing the image. progressive mode is not effected by this however, just the interlaced....

Is this an optical fault?
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd gladly help, but why don't you post a full-res grab (jpg)?
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.imagebam.com/image/2a9cb3460346

(suggest you save_as and view at 200%)

I captured this onto the memory stick of the V1E, on a moving video the effect is much more noticable - and frustrating.

Basically , look at the vertical lines on the guttering and rear wall in particular. As I said this only appears when steadyshot is enabled.

This has got to be a fault right?

Thankyou
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Deniz, I see in your pictures the problem and I haven't noticed that exact issue with my camera. I have one question. Do you have any gain turned on? That does look a little bit like the noise reduction done in-camera when gain is on but it doesn't look like vertical lines in my camera. It is more of a mottled pattern but there is some effect with the gain turned on.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, I can see those fine lines. Never have met anything like it before - sorry I can't help!

PS. Referring to Bob's remark below - no, I never saw this in a tripod mounted camera, either!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; October 17th, 2007 at 06:55 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #6
Trustee

Does this problem only occur with Steadyshot On AND with the camera on a tripod?
Sony have been pretty specific about switching Steadyshot off when using sticks. We've seen some funky things happen with another camera when we didn't heed that warning. Not saying that must be the problem here though but worth checking.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I sent my V1E back to sony and they changed the PCB - now all my problems are gone.

I guess there are some flawed units out there.....
Old October 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Inner Circle

So far, on this forum I've heard of 2 (two) V1 units requiring servicing. Did you follow the Canon HX forum?

Sony V1 are superb machines, exceptionally well built.
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Trustee

At least you got a fast turnaround time. Thanks for letting us know the solution to your problem.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7