HVR-V1U/HVR-Z1U Comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 1st, 2007, 09:34 AM   #1
Tourist

HVR-V1U/HVR-Z1U Comparison

I was hoping someone who has had experience using both cameras can give me a comparison of them. I have read reviews on both and have done my best to compare them myself, but haven't been able to use either of them first hand. From what I've read the Z1U doesn't capture a true progressive image...but does the V1U?
Stephen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Stephen. There has been a lot of discussion on this topic, and one of the best ways to review is to start at the beginning of the V1 forum and read forward:http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...=21&order=desc

I started a thread after seeing the camera at the US intro: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75840

Yes the V1 is true progressive and the Z1 is not. V1 has 1/4" CMOS chips and the Z1 has 1/3" CCD's. More powerful zoom on the V1 but worse in low light situations. It is physically smaller than the Z1 and has no built-in microphone. The Z1 can also shoot both PAL and NTSC standard definition or 1080i50 and 1080i60 HDV.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

What he said. I have both of them, and I switch them out depending on what I need and where I need it. I like using the Z1u as my work horse, i.e. wireless etc.

I guess you have to ask yourself what your budget is, if you want multiple assigned buttons etc. There are many differences between the Z1 and V1, but that you can read on your own.

I will say it is hard for me to pick one over the other, unless like Boyd says, light is an issue. To me however, the V1u picture is more brilliant in default settings, but that's just my opinion.

Happy reading.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Trustee

I have both cameras. I find the image quality to be excellent with both and very similar. The V1 does record true progressive, and 24p.
The truth is that over time I find myself using the V1 more often. I like the lighter weight, better balance, and control placement. For brilliantly lighted, colorful outdoor scenes, the V1, with Cinegamma 1, and Cinetone 1 settings, produces some gorgeous HD imagery. On the other hand the V1 does not go as wide as the Z1. Using the V1 with the wide angle adapter definitely negates some of these advantages and I will tend to use the Z1 if I know I will need wider coverage. I think it would really depend on what kind of shooting you are doing for one or the other to emerge as a clear preference. In my case, I could easily live with 2 V1s if I had to.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 06:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

My words the rest the same V1 had true progressive, lighter, control placement, brilliantly lighted, colorful outdoor scenes, with Cinegamma and Cinetone settings, produces real life images. There are many more setting to made your own profile. Save and go or Reload and shot.

Progressive it do a good job.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have used a Z1 a few times and have tested the V1. I think that the V1 has better balance, and I also find it to be easier to hand-hold. Right now I am faced with the same problem: I can't decide which to buy. In most situations I will either have sufficient light or be able to use a light. Is progressive REALLY that important (I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2)? And does anyone actually think the LCD placement is a big deal?
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

If the V1u shipped two months earlier in late 2006, I would've preferred using it over the Z1u in 50i/CineFrame 25 for my feature film.

Heath
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Trustee

Colin- LCD placement- Thanks for reminding me!
As much as I love the V1, IMO the LCD placement on the Z1 is far superior. I think Sony made a real mistake when they placed it back on the side of the V1. Maybe when they designed the Z1, they stuck the LCD up on the handle because they didn't have room elsewhere, but it turned out to be one of the most excellent features of the camera.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

Robert, I agree, it's cool. But every other camera I use that has an LCD, it's on the left side, not on top.

heath
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Wrangler

I have to agree, I really like the LCD placement on my Z1 although for the first month I kept instinctively grabbing at the tape door when I wanted to open it. But more importantly, it puts the tape transport on the left side of the camera which is much more convenient for quick changes and isn't obstructed by the hand strap like Sony's other cameras.

BTW, the LCD on the Z1 is transreflective which means it looks great in full direct sunlight with no backlighting. Is the V1 LCD like that too? I'm guessing it may not be since they introduced an LCD hood with the V1 and you really don't need one on the Z1.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #11
Major Player

V1 is a great little cam if you know it's limitations. Image quality is very nice indeed.

One little plus over the Z1, is the "HDMI out port", allowing for externally recording the signal BEFORE compression and most post processing is applied. Combined with the Intensity card, it's pretty good quality from a low-end pro camcorder!

Now, if they'd just move that LCD up onto the handle like the Z1...
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Ultimately, I'd love to see a 1/2" CMOS (three total) Z1u with all the functions of the V1u (histogram, more cinema settings, 24p, 30p, 25p) and an interchangeable lens. Pinch me, I'm dreaming again!

heath
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Heath, that's the Sony PMW-EX1, shipping in a couple weeks.

Handle-mount LCD, 1/2" CMOS sensors, with histogram (I've learned to love that!), more cinema settings, all those frame modes, HDV and a 35Mbps variation...

Sony has left off the HDMI in favor of SDI, (both SD and HD), and no interchangeable lenses... but you do get a real focus ring. Somehow they've left off that tape mechanism as well...

I guess this will be the 3rd generation prosumer HD camera, meant to compete with the HVX cams, clearly Sony is still pushing on low end HD, to our benefit. (is it still "prosumer" if it has SDI?)

I hate to speculate too much on the EX before it ships, but it sure seems like Z1 and V1 users are going to like it a lot.

***edit***
And, it won't record or downconvert to SD! That's a first.

***edit to edit***
I guess it does downconvert to the SDI outupt.

Last edited by Seth Bloombaum; November 6th, 2007 at 05:37 PM.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

I was talking about HDV, but I'll gladly take an EX! Thanks for confirming a few things.

Heath
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Wrangler

Well it's 1/3" CMOS, but otherwise it looks like they've got ya covered :-)

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...site=biz_en_CH
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7