How do you use TC preset? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How do you use TC preset?

Been strugling for a while to understand how to set the time code on my V1

I can see in the manual I can set the time code in the TC Preset menu but then how do I _use_ the preset? Each time I put a tape in it just starts from normal 00:00:00:00

I'm sure it's real easy but it has aluded me how to use this so far, can anyone enlighten me?

Kevin
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Major Player

There are two modes in the Timecode menu under the TC Make item: Regenerate and Preset. When you set the initial timecode for a tape you use Preset. Then you can go up to the TC Preset Menu Item and set the desired Timecode. I like to set the hour to match the tape #, eg. tape one is 01:00:00;00. If you set a timecode and it doesn't record as expected you probably have it in Regenerate Mode.

Regenerate is used to pick up and continue timecode that has already been recorded on a tape. For instance when you shoot a tape, rewind to review and cue up to the last shot. When you start recording Regenerate will read the previous timecode and continue it at the start of the new recording. This assures you will have continuous and ascending timecode. This is also called Jam Sync.

One problem with cameras in this class is the potential for a Timecode zero reset. It usually happens when the tape is recued past the last recording into a blank section. Without a previous timecode to read the camera assumes you've put in a new tape and will start at 00:00:00;00. If I'm through for the day or am going to take the tape out I usually record ten seconds of color bars so I have something to cue back into and pickup (regenerate) the previous timecode. A zero reset is problematic for batch capture as the software expects the timecode to always be ascending.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Couple ways to do this, depending on your goal.

a) Some like unique timecode in their projects, meaning that tape 1 would start at hour 1, tape 2 - hour 2, etc.

b) Some like to use time-of-day or other free-running timecode to either approximate real time (must use Drop-Frame for this), or, to sync multiple cameras or other devices. Rough sync can be done manually, good to perhaps 10 frames, fine sync (plus/minus a frame or better) can only be done by "jamming" between the tc generators on two devices. The V1 only supports jamming with other V1's via firewire.

For (a):
Menu | TC/UB SET | TC PRESET | (Set your preset) | OK

TC FORMAT | (select NDF or DF)

TC RUN | RECORD RUN (this is the default)

TC MAKE | PRESET (this is probably what you've been missing)

Done.

For (b):
Menu | TC/UB SET | TC PRESET | (Set your preset, eg. the time of day in a couple minutes) | OK

TC FORMAT | (select NDF or DF)

TC MAKE | PRESET

TC RUN | (decide when you want to start the generator) | FREE RUN (as soon as you switch to free run the generator will start running)

(b) is very common in multicamera shoots. For rough sync with multiple cam operators you all might set up your cameras for a point a couple minutes away, then count down 3-2-1-sync and everybody will be pretty close. When you can't do that you might carry a watch around to each camera.

This what you're looking for?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
...One problem with cameras in this class is the potential for a Timecode zero reset. It usually happens when the tape is recued past the last recording into a blank section. Without a previous timecode to read the camera assumes you've put in a new tape and will start at 00:00:00;00. If I'm through for the day or am going to take the tape out I usually record ten seconds of color bars so I have something to cue back into and pickup (regenerate) the previous timecode. A zero reset is problematic for batch capture as the software expects the timecode to always be ascending.
Lee is quite right about this, and some NLE (FCP for example) will absolutely choke with discontinuous timecode.

A very handy V1 function is "End Search". I have it on one of the assignable buttons. After I do a spot check to see if I have a good recording, I'll do an "End Search". If the tape is parked where there's no TC, it will rewind to find the end, if parked in TC it will search forward.

When you do this in Camera mode it is very precise to the frame, and will park in standby at the first blank frame and regen timecode from there.

But what Lee suggests is also a very good practice - you always want some seconds of recording after the important content before you stop tape.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Seth! If you take the tape out and put it back in does End Search still work?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
...If you take the tape out and put it back in does End Search still work?
Yes. It searches reverse or forward depending on whether it's parked in TC when it threads up.

Of course, if you already have multiple segments on tape that are separated by unrecorded tape then it will "tag" on to whatever segment is nearest.

Several other camcorders also have this function. If you're using a camcorder without it, what Lee suggested is the only way to maintain continuous TC/recording when you've stopped and reviewed tape, or ejected, or powered down.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #7
New Boot

i always use end search on my FX7 after playing back a clip to try and get a continues time code. i have it assigned to button 3

but for some reason the timecode keeps restarting so I end up with multiple timecodes beginning with 00:00:00 on each tape.

what am I doing wrong?
Tom Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks to you all for your advice. Just wish Sony had thought to mention this one in the manau!

Wondered if there was a book or better guide for how to use the V1 for people like me who haven't used a semi-pro camera before?
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Honey View Post
...but for some reason the timecode keeps restarting so I end up with multiple timecodes beginning with 00:00:00 on each tape.

what am I doing wrong?
Work through your TC menus and make sure that TC is set to "Regen" or "Regenerate", not "Preset"
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyd View Post
Just wish Sony had thought to mention this one in the manau!
They did. Page 85.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyd View Post
Wondered if there was a book or better guide for how to use the V1 for people like me who haven't used a semi-pro camera before?
Check out the VASST website for some great training materials.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Work through your TC menus and make sure that TC is set to "Regen" or "Regenerate", not "Preset"
i cant seam to find the time code menus.

am i being blind?
Tom Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
i cant seam to find the time code menus.

am i being blind?
No, if you have an FX7 you don't have these timecode functions.

Quote:
but for some reason the timecode keeps restarting so I end up with multiple timecodes beginning with 00:00:00 on each tape.

what am I doing wrong?
Pages 44, 95, 97 of the FX7 (US) manual detail circumstances in which END SEARCH doesn't work. Don't have the UK manual handy but should be similar pages for the FX7E.

EDIT: Found it. Pages 41, 92, 94 of the FX7E manual.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7