Shooting 60i and going out to 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 29th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting 60i and going out to 24p?

Two questions in one day!

I am shooting a doc in China, with a wide range of unpredictable shots, from martial arts to mountain landscapes, so I decided to shoot regular 60i. (And not 24p, as per my last 3 projects out on DVD).
One of my distributors just asked me if the DVD release will be 24p Progressive. What are the consequences of going to 24p via DVD from 1080-60i? Anyone doing this?
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

I just finished shooting a documentary with a V1U (24A) and an FX7 (60i).

I tried not to use the FX7 so much, because I knew I would need to convert it to 24p and run the risk of that not looking so great. However we did end up shooting quite a bit of b-roll with the FX7.

So now I've been converting the b-roll footage from the FX7 (60i) and getting it into 24p so that I can edit on the same timeline as the rest of my 24p content from the V1U.

So far, I've been quite pleased with the conversion. No, it's not true 24p. But it's pretty good! I haven't experimented with many programs yet that perform this conversion, I know Magic Bullet Frames is coming out soon so I do plan to do some tests/comparisons with that since 24p processing seems to be its specialty. But for now I've just been using Cineform to convert the FX7 footage (60i) to 24p and I've been very happy with the results.

To be honest, the only thing I really consider a downside to using the FX7 footage is that it doesn't look nearly as nice as the V1U footage, on account of the CineGamma profiles that were not available on the FX7. Without the CineGamma settings it looks very much like video to me, so hopefully color correction can help that.

Anyway, back to your topic. You do have options to convert your 60i footage to 24p, and it's not necessarily going to look bad. You can still end up with a nice looking 24p export.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I know Magic Bullet Frames is coming out soon so I do plan to do some tests/comparisons with that since 24p processing seems to be its specialty. But for now I've just been using Cineform to convert the FX7 footage (60i) to 24p and I've been very happy with the results.
60 > 24 does work. It's long been used to get video to film. My V1 Handbook describes how to do this using DVFilm's software, which is aailable for PC and Mac.

PS: if you have a 60i production you can convert it to 24p for a film look or for going to real film.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7