wide angle, fisheye and telephoto lens for HVR-V1? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #31
New Boot

does anyone know if the mic for the v1u shows up in the picture when you are using a century optices .3x fisheye?

The fisheye...
.3X ULTRA FISHEYE ADP HD SONY - Schneider Optics

Any help appreciated... Thanks!
Shadi Rayyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #32
Trustee

The "Megakit" of lenses seems to be a bundle of Raynox lenses (though I could be wrong - the picture is quite small). Go to Welcome to Raynox and search for the FX7/V1 page to see samples.

I had considered the Raynox lenses (based on theses samples, and posts on this and other forums). In the end, I've decided to save my pennies for a Century or 16x9 telephoto adapter rather than waste £200 on what I feel would be a mistake.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post

I had considered the Raynox lenses (based on theses samples, and posts on this and other forums). In the end, I've decided to save my pennies for a Century or 16x9 telephoto adapter rather than waste £200 on what I feel would be a mistake.
If money is no object are you saying that the Century is the best wide-angle (non-fisheye) for the V1?

Thanks
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #34
Major Player

Ryan, do i need a new hood with the 0.65x lens? (because the one that comes with the Sony V1 wont fit once the century lens is fitted?) Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Ahmad,

Please look at the following products for the V1U. I recommend our .8x for the V1U if you are looking for zoom through performance. Otherwise, check out the .55x partial zooming piece as it is very wide, small size, and excellent image quality. Nobody has a telephoto that matches or exceeds the performance of our 1.6x or 2.0x converters so those are worth a look as well.

Most of our lenses accept a shade (except Fisheyes of course which the shade is built in to the design). Most of our lenses can accept a filter as well making this an important advantage over other lenses.

Sony HVR-V1U & HDR-FX7 Attachments - Schneider Optics

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif Choudhry View Post
If money is no object are you saying that the Century is the best wide-angle (non-fisheye) for the V1?Thanks
Depends what you mean by 'best'. The lenses with the least distortion and aberration tend to be pretty mild (like Sony's 0.8x). If you want zoom-through you'll generally have to accept barrel distortion, and the more powerful the wide-angle converter, the more the distortion.

If you're happy with a partial zoom through that won't give you barrel distortion then the Bolex Aspheron (0,52x) is the best in my view.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #36
Major Player

Hey Shadi,
I just checked the mic and the 0.3x--- with an AT4073 & black foamy, if it's pulled back it's OK, but if it slides forward it will show up. I mount the mic on a cheap hot shoe holder and that keeps it up high with no worries. I also tried that with the Rycote Softie and it was dangerously close to the edge, but it worked with care.

If anyone has questions re these Raynox lenses (0.7x, .55x, .3x, 1.54x) and the V1, pose them here, soon.

I'm selling the V1 (8x10h Drum) and all these lenses in a couple days.
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Depends what you mean by 'best'. The lenses with the least distortion and aberration tend to be pretty mild (like Sony's 0.8x). If you want zoom-through you'll generally have to accept barrel distortion, and the more powerful the wide-angle converter, the more the distortion.

If you're happy with a partial zoom through that won't give you barrel distortion then the Bolex Aspheron (0,52x) is the best in my view.

tom.
Tom, thats what i meant - I hate the barrel distortion you see on the cheaper adapters. I dont need full zoom through - I want as close to 24mm for wide landscape shots with highest possible resolution. Does the bolex aspheron fit the Sony V1 and I guess I have to budget for a lens shade to attach to the bolex?

What did you pay for the Aspheron?
Thanks
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #38
Inner Circle

The Bolex lens has an 85 mm attachment thread so won't fit the V1 without a special adapter. I made mine a bayonet fit so that it quickly mounts and demounts from my Z1. In run 'n' gun, speed is of the essence.

It's very difficult to find a 16:9 hood to fit the Aspheron, but as it's Zeiss T* multi-coated (the best in the biz) that's not the end of the world. The lens sees so wide (17 mm equiv) at it's widest angle that any hood you use will be minuscule.

I bought the Bolex lens direct from the Swiss factory for about £150, delivered to my door. That's a lot of money for a single, aspherically ground element, but I cannot stand seeing doors bow outwards as I track through them and I hate seeing brides' waists barrelled outwards.
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #39
Major Player

Tom, thanks, you knew i was going to ask this: where do i get this bayonet adapter? I hope i can buy one as i am useless at DIY!! If you have that URL for bolex that would be great.

Quote:
The Bolex lens has an 85 mm attachment thread so won't fit the V1 without a special adapter. I made mine a bayonet fit so that it quickly mounts and demounts from my Z1. In run 'n' gun, speed is of the essence.

It's very difficult to find a 16:9 hood to fit the Aspheron, but as it's Zeiss T* multi-coated (the best in the biz) that's not the end of the world. The lens sees so wide (17 mm equiv) at it's widest angle that any hood you use will be minuscule.

I bought the Bolex lens direct from the Swiss factory for about £150, delivered to my door. That's a lot of money for a single, aspherically ground element, but I cannot stand seeing doors bow outwards as I track through them and I hate seeing brides' waists barrelled outwards.

Last edited by Sherif Choudhry; February 7th, 2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: update:
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I made the bayonet by copying the Z1's lens hood bayonet. You do need to be a bit of a DIYer though.

You need to start here: Bolex international SA
I emailed Bolex (in English) which led me to the Aspheron.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #41
New Boot

Lens hood?

I love the Stock lens hood that came with my V1 (i.e the inbuilt lens protector)

I'm running a 0.65 Schnieder WA lens and would love it if I could use the SONY lens hood that ships with their WA lens. Does nayone know if it fits?

I've ordered a hood from Schneider ($300 Australian Dollars) which is stupidly expensive, especially given that it doesn't have the same inbuilt lens cover that I'm accustomed too.

I know that it's only a matter of time before I loose the lans cap!

T
Anthony Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Serif - did you get any further in your quest for a wide-angle without barrel distortion?
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Serif - did you get any further in your quest for a wide-angle without barrel distortion?
Hi Tom, I concluded that I would purchase the 16x9 wide angle set because I am rubbish at DIY, its pricey from B&H but the reviews/readers comments seem to indicate the 16x9s whilst not perfect have lower barrel distortion that raynox or century.
Old March 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM   #44
Inner Circle

I'd like to know what you think of the 16x9 lens when you've had a chance to test it. And a correction to my post - the Aspheron cost £450, not £150 (a typo).
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7