Output modes and firewire compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 5th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Trustee

Output modes and firewire compatibility

I'm trying to figure out how to get some sort of backup copy of my footage made while I shoot. I used to accomplish this with a VX2000 and TRV900 camcorder that I kept connected via firewire and carried in a camera bag around my waist. I have noticed a few 1/2-second dropouts shooting HDV whose impact I would like to minimize by getting a second copy.

My question is not just limited to tape-to-tape but it seems like it is the most feasible method. I would consider a hard drive recorder but they are way over my budget and are one-trick ponies. I am thinking that maybe a Canon HV20 would be a good idea as it is a nice little camera and almost within my budget. For the cost of a hard drive recorder, I would probably rather get a laptop and strap it to my back.

Here are the questions:

Are the V1 and Canon HV20 compatible in their ilink/firewire implementation? How about in their recording format? Can I use an HV20 as a deck to capture V1 tapes into the computer?

Will the V1 output to firewire and HDMI simultaneously? I use an HDMI monitor when I am stationary and would like to keep that ability. If HDMI and firewire don't work together, how about firewire and component?

Are there any DVD recorders that can capture downconverted SD footage from firewire or analog while the V1 is shooting? I noticed that the Sony DVDirect MC5 is listed as a V1 accessory at B&H but I don't know if it will work shooting live (it should) and if the V1 can also monitor out an HD port simultaneously.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7