FX-7 Gone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 26th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX-7 Gone?

I heard that Sony pulled the FX-7? Has anyone heard this? If so WHY!!!!
Matt Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah they pulled it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&O=&sku=459129

Not so good news at all. I guess the cam didn't do very well in sales. It's also not listed on the Sony site as far as I could tell. Hope the resell value holds though, selling mine soon. It's still a nice little cam.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Trustee

We've been discussing it a bit over here.

I've been arguing that if they replace the FX7, then they must be doing the same with the V1u since they are in essence the same chips, encoders, lenses, processors, tape drives, and whatnot. Is Sony releasing something new at NAB or have they taken the unprecedented step of not selling the consumer version of a camera but keeping the pro model on the shelves? Talk amongst yourselves.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I said this back in November:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=107536
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Major Player

They Discontinued it back in November. :( Very interesting. That means the cam was on the market for a little less than 1 year. Unbelievable.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Graham View Post
Maybe you should say it louder next time, somehow we all missed that one.

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Maybe you should say it louder next time, somehow we all missed that one.
I second that. As a current VX-2100 owner I came this -> <- close to buying a FX-7 but I hesitated because I'm still doing a lot of SD work.

I'm still waiting for the HD-equivalent of the VX2000/2100 - you know, something that has decent auto focus. :-)
John Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Being a former VX owner and user myself (I actually still have the old girl) I can say without question that the FX7 destroys her in decent light. It's not even a fair fight. Only in the worst lighting situations does the VX still trump the FX. I don't regret my FX purchase one bit. For the money and at the time it was released, it was an ok little camera. It'll be making me money into the future, but I'm pretty sure I'll fall in love with someone new after NAB. Here's hoping for some decent low light FX price range HD cameras.

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
We've been discussing it a bit over here.

I've been arguing that if they replace the FX7, then they must be doing the same with the V1u since they are in essence the same chips, encoders, lenses, processors, tape drives, and whatnot. Is Sony releasing something new at NAB or have they taken the unprecedented step of not selling the consumer version of a camera but keeping the pro model on the shelves? Talk amongst yourselves.
The HC1 was replaced long ago, but the A1U is still being sold.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Trustee

Good point, didn't know that.

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #11
Trustee

In Europe it seems that its still available. Look here:
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...tegory=HDD+HDV

Stelios
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Trustee

B&H still has the "E" version of the camera as well, it's the NTSC version that seems to have gone missing everywhere.

-Ethan Cooper
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I think for some reason the FX7 just didn't resonate with the market - it happens sometimes to perfectly good products. I stumbled across one that a "consumer" didn't want, and I really like it ergonomically, feature wise, and image quality is pretty darn good thank you! Since an EX1 or Z7 isn't in my near term budget, it'll do nicely.

Hey, the HC1, after a period of lower "closeout" pricing has been fetching prices WAY above those of current HDV cameras - it's still a good little cam, and good specimens are bringing high prices.

Maybe by the time something that's really "better" than the FX7 hits, it will be apreciated enough to fetch what it's worth as a camera. I see B&H has them used for $2200 - not too bad for a camera with the features it has. and now it's officially a RARE camera, so buy now before the prices go up!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #14
Major Player

Quite sad! But well, it's Sony and I like the other poster have mine! LOL So boo hiss hiss on others that didn't recognize the quality of the little cam.. I love mine to death and will make money from it also!

But that is typical Sony. Things vanish without a trace all of a sudden. Mind you, I love Sony products, but they urk me with that just all of a sudden ***poof*** and it's gone. As they want you to purchase their newest product or something from another line.

It wouldn't suprise me if they didn't kill off the FX7 and leave the V1 as I am sure with it's features on some level it did hurt the V1 sales(or at least they are speculating). But with the introduction of the more expensive EX's, I think they really are trying to leave a "middle" ground camera and you would as a purchaser have to go to the higher ended and more costly EX or one of the consumer models and soup it up.. But more than likely the EX..

But I love my FX and will be keeping it for years like I did my old cam! :-)
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #15
Inner Circle

They've now arrived at the Outlet stores but not the Online Outlet. Same clearance price as in the Sony Style Stores -- $2599. According to today's inventory search, there are about 50 nationwide available for sale, all at Sony Outlets.

The Aurora, Ill., outlet has 4 in stock. There are 5 in Gilroy, CA, and eight (if the guy is to be believed) elsewhere in California. My guess is Camarillo. My local outlet north of Seattle has just one.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7