24p or 1080i at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Major Player

24p or 1080i

If I shoot 24p what actually is the V1 producing to the tape in comparison to shooting 1080i.
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Major Player

24p is stored on the tape w/ pulldown, resulting in 60i.

You are still shooting progressive, and many NLEs have no problem extracting the original 24p signal because the V1U uses a common pulldown phase.

Search and you'll find a lot more on the topic. Or pick up Steve Mullen's book on this camera, it's very good.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Major Player

I have his book, he actually doesn't get into the V1 as much as I would have liked. my question is because I usually shoot 4pa and never really get a consistent result, so now I am shooting 60i and capturing with cineform set to high, deinterlacing, then putting the clips into Vegas 8 on a 24p timeline, then rendering into mpeg4. my results are far better this way. I guess I am wondering what the camera actually does. its 60i with pulldown, going to 24p is removing the pulldown, ( did not remove with cineform) but, the camera actually always shoots 60i. am i correct that this camera does not shoot true 24p but its 24p when the pulldown is removed. is it fields on the camera chip, then frames on tape, when does it go from fields to frames, since 24p is frames.Am I on the right wave length here. Or maybe someone can suggest where I can get info on the technical aspect of what really is happening in this camera when i shoot 60i vs 24p
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7