FX7 - Two questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

FX7 - Two questions

1. Can you get Color Bars recorded to tape with the FX7? (Tone is not important)
2. Can you switch the audio input from Mic to Line?
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

1. Yes, three types.
2. No. The built-in mic switches off automatically when you plug an external mic into the jack, but there's no way to tell it to expect line-level input (i.e. from a mixer or wireless receiver).
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl View Post
1. Can you get Color Bars recorded to tape with the FX7? (Tone is not important)
2. Can you switch the audio input from Mic to Line?
Robert, you might want to consider the FX7's bigger brother, the V1. The V1 answers both your questions with a yes. It has a color bar generator with the possibility of a 1khz tone, and you can switch between mic/line for both audio channels. It also has 48v phantom power.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
Robert, you might want to consider the FX7's bigger brother, the V1. The V1 answers both your questions with a yes. It has a color bar generator with the possibility of a 1khz tone, and you can switch between mic/line for both audio channels. It also has 48v phantom power.
John, the V1 is indeed the camera i want to buy. However, its an expensive camera and i hope that more low light sensitive cameras will be announced soon. I tested a Sony HVR-S270 yesterday and that camera really blowed the V1 away big time when it came to low light capabilities and has much better audio as well. I alreday has an BeachTek DXA-6 so XLR and line in is not a big issue. The lack of 3.5mm mic input of the V1 is a bigger issue since the DXA-6 is easier to set the volume on compared to the XLR box of the V1. Color bars is a must for me though. IMO, the audio (low inputs, lack of low frequencies) and the low light capabilities is the biggest issue with the V1.

Yes, i know that the V1 and S270 are two different animals and that the S270 is almost three times as expensive as the V1. I will wait until NAB and see if any new cameras are announced.

Why do i want 3.5mm mic input on a camera:
I have a Panasonic DVC-30 today and the original XLR inputs on that camera produces a lot more hiss than any microphone connected to the 3.5mm on that camera. Thats why i want it. :)

Since the FX7 is cheaper i may buy that one and buy a better camera later when they are released and by that save me some bucks. I have not made up my mind yet though... ;)
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You don't say where you're located but if you're in the US and you are waiting to buy the FX7, you may be out of luck. There are a few left at the Sony Online Outlet but otherwise they're gone and they're not making any more.

I understand that the PAL version is still available, though.

At the prices some are asking for the FX7 I think you are indeed better off with the V1.

Although at the Sony Online Outlet they have refurbed FX1s for about $2K, which I think is a pretty good deal. Chief drawbacks vs. the FX7, in my opinion: No HDMI and about half the tele length.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl View Post
... IMO, the audio (low inputs, lack of low frequencies) and the low light capabilities is the biggest issue with the V1...

Why do i want 3.5mm mic input on a camera:
I have a Panasonic DVC-30 today and the original XLR inputs on that camera produces a lot more hiss than any microphone connected to the 3.5mm on that camera. Thats why i want it. :)...
As an audio engineer and long-time owner of a V1, in my personal experience:

Low inputs on the V1? True that the cheap short shotgun supplied is not particularly suited to the camcorder, and the match doesn't really give enough gain. I've only ever used an on-camera mic for collecting ambience. Any other mic I've plugged in to the xlrs has had adequate gain.

Lack of low freqs on V1? Per the tests on a certain web site, the tester's scopes say this is so. Never seen a problem in practice, period.

Hissy XLR inputs vs. 3.5mm on Panny DVC-30? Wow, sorry to hear that. It would suggest poor design or misfunction of the Panny preamps and/or signal path. Doesn't apply to the V1 nor to the balanced XLR systems in use for decades throughout the pro audio world. (you don't see much 3.5mm outside consumer and low-end prosumer gear)

It's amazing what you can learn on web sites, some of it is even true! The V1 audio is typical of a prosumer camera, could be better, could be worse, but it has been entirely adequate for voice.

I'm not trying to sell you on a V1. If it's what you need, great. There are a lot of other good cameras out there. I'm just really surprised at the V1 audio myths that have become "what everyone knows about the V1" because in actual use, later monitored on pro speakers, audio has never been an issue for me, and I do care about it.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold
I understand that the PAL version is still available, though.
I am located in PAL country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
Lack of low freqs on V1? Per the tests on a certain web site, the tester's scopes say this is so. Never seen a problem in practice, period.
I have personally tested the V1 and compared it with other cameras and could clearly hear the differences. As a musician i listen with musical ears and they are critical. Btw, i dont write things because i have read about it somewhere, i write when i know something for sure, period.

I have tested this so called myth and found it to be true regarding to low input and lack of low frequencies on the V1 i tested. This is one of the very first V1's sold in Sweden, so thing may have changed over time.

When i did my testings i did not even use the Sony microphone, i used one Audio Technica AT835ST, one Audio Technica AT825 and one Sennheiser K6/ME64.

Thank for everyones input! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7