2nd MICROPHONE TRY to my FX-7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2nd MICROPHONE TRY to my FX-7

A few months ago, i bought an AZDEN SMX-10 stereo mic to replace my built-in FX-7 mic...

The new mic improved the quality but it hasnt an option to swich to mono.. so i have a shotgun directional but with lots os ambient noise....

I would like now to buy an directional mono only mic and i have this options, and i would like opinions...

1 - SENNHENSER MKE 300 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gun_Video.html

2 - RODE VIDEO MIC http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...#goto_itemInfo

3 - AZDEN SGM-1X (and an XLR to miniplug adaptor) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...otgun_Mic.html

4 - AZDEN ECZ-990 - CHEAPER ON.. i think is the same quality than mine but MONO directional only.. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Shotgun.html

If you have other mic model suggestion, please... it will be welcome to (on this budget - around U$ 200).

Marcelo Lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Major Player

I would suggest the AT875 short shotgun -
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Shotgun.html

I think this will outperform any of the one's you mention, especially the Azden's. I ordered this mic myself, even though I own much more expensive mic's - it's such a good deal.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

First of all, thanks Jon for your answer..

One important question about this mic: It comes with camera shoe mount?? If don't, can you send me an link of BHPHOTO that ones who works fine on my fx-7?? My friend will travel to NY and i will ask him to buy the mic for me.. I have an week only to decide....

Thanks again! []'s

Marcelo Lima
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Major Player

Shotgun

I've got a Audio Technica AT835ST on my Sony A1 which I like quite a bit. I use mid-side setting mostly so I can "dial in" "dial out" a stereo ambient field in post as needed. I like the flexibility for run&gun shooting. One less thing to go wrong in the field.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Harring View Post
I've got a Audio Technica AT835ST on my Sony A1 which I like quite a bit. I use mid-side setting mostly so I can "dial in" "dial out" a stereo ambient field in post as needed. I like the flexibility for run&gun shooting. One less thing to go wrong in the field.
James, do you have any problems with distortion with the AT835ST & A1? The AT835ST is a hot microphone, especially in mid-side mode.
Old March 24th, 2008, 07:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Harring View Post
This is an good feature!! Sadly, its too expensive for me right now.. I thought my stereo azden mic had the feature to switch to directional only.. but aparently, he hadnt.!
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Major Player

If you could stretch that budget to $269 B&H has a Rode NTG-2 with an SM3 shock mount and XLR or XLR to mini cable (you have to pick which cable you want - each are listed as a different pkg).

This mic is highly thought of I found out when doing extensive interet research. I have it on order for my V1U
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Dj. Ammons... I will include on my list this mic too ehhe.
i would like to ask you a favor, if you can, of course!!.

Can you send me a picture of your camera with this mic mounted on the camera?? I would like to see how its looks, the size of mic comparing to the camera....

Well, if isnt a trouble for you to send me a picture, my email is mglima@gmail.com

THANKS!! :)
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Marcelo,

I would love to send you that pic of my setup but I have yet to receive it yet! After months of research I just ordered my gear this past weekend.

Over the next week or so I should be getting my two V1U's and the ton of other gear to go with them including that Rode NTG-2 and an Azden 320 dual channel wireless lapel mic system.

I am excited but in debt!!!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #10
New Boot

I have a question regarding the Rode mic - often in these discussions on a replacement mic for the V1 the Rode NTG-2 is suggested rather than the NTG-1. Is there any reason for this, considering that the V1 would supply phantom power to the NTG-1 so the battery-powered capability of the NTG-2 would be redundant?

I'm looking into mics at the moment and was considering the Rode, so I'm curious.
David Kirshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I used NTG-1 for V1P is a good mic. Recommand for any HDV cam. NTG-2 yes another good mic but the lenght much longer than NTG-1. For interview best of all.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #12
Trustee

David,

I use an NTG-2 on my Sony V1. I opted for that just in case I ever have to take it off camera and use it on a recorder without phantom power. Now I have a Zoom H4, and it has phantom power... so it looks like I have an extra two inches of mic that I will never need. :)

The NTG-2 is a bit longer on the camera, but I rarely use the NTG-2 mounted up there anyway - it's better on a Rycote pistol grip at the end of a 6 metre cable. If you only ever want it on-camera or will always have phantom power, go for the NTG-1. It's a little bit cheaper and more compact, and less likely to poke someone's eye out.

With the NTG-2 and the Rode SM-5 shockmount and a Rycote Softie, the NTG-2 is well out of the field of vision, even with the wide angle lens on. So I assume the NTG-1 will be even less of a problem. It looks dead cool on the camera too!
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #13
New Boot

Thanks for your replies. I'll be going to make my purchase later this week and will check out the size then.

I presume the sound is significantly better than the default V1 mic?
David Kirshner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirshner View Post
I presume the sound is significantly better than the default V1 mic?
I'm not sure of the exact technical word (range? hotness?) but I can actually hear the audio when I use the NTG or the Beyer stereo mic that I have! The Sony mic has a very quiet output and even with the input level wheel turned to maximum and headphone volume cranked up, it's not wonderful.

This is my experience with a V1E - I presume the V1P will be similar.
Old May 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM   #15
New Boot

Thanks again!
David Kirshner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7