V1U and Backfocus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

V1U and Backfocus

I once owned a PD150 and didn't like that it seemed to have a backfocus problem. I could zoom into a person, focus then zoom out and the person's face would be slightly out of focus and the background was sharp. I have seen this many times on TV programs over the years, knowing that it was shot with a PD150 or other Sony cam.

I am wondering if the V1U has this problem. I need a small HDV cam and the V1U fits the bill nicely.

BTW: I sent my PD150 in for service and had them check the backfocus. It came back with the same issue. I sold it and bought a Panasonic DVX100, then a DVX100A. Haven't seen the problem since.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Will,
I had back focus problems twice with my V1U. Here is a link to the most recent thread. BTW, Sony did fix it both times. So far no issues to date.

Lee

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106877
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108511
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Inner Circle

One thing to be aware of on the V1 is that the macro setting will slightly shift the backfocus. You only need to get caught out on this once...
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Berger View Post
Will,
I had back focus problems twice with my V1U. Here is a link to the most recent thread. BTW, Sony did fix it both times. So far no issues to date.

Lee

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106877
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=108511
We just discovered the backfocus probs of the V1 and are not happy. We had begun to suspect something was wrong in the field, but when doing greenscreen work today, we proved that it is indeed a serious prob. Unfortunately, we live and work in Brazil and a fix is very difficult.

Not very happy with Sony and with our V1 now. Anybody know of some manuals we can download and DIY? I'd be willing to try, just to salvage this V1.

Looks like we'll be looking for a new EX3 in July when they come out...or maybe a non-Sony solution...

Oh yes, and just so no one suggests it...the reset button doesn't help...

Last edited by Stephen Armour; April 25th, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Stephen Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #5
New Boot

Not parfocal

A lens which retains the same focus point both zoomed out and zoomed in is known as parfocal. I know my FX7E lens is NOT parfocal, and therefore doubt also whether the V1 is. It is not a fault, merely a feature of the lens. I believe that most long zooms are NOT parfocal.
Alan Dunlop-Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunlop-Walters View Post
I know my FX7E lens is NOT parfocal, and therefore doubt also whether the V1 is. It is not a fault, merely a feature of the lens.
Then why does the FX7E manual state (p.31, Adjusting the focus manually): "Tips for focusing manually: It is easier to focus on the subject when you use the zoom function. Move the power zoom lever towards T (telephoto) to adjust the focus, and then, towards W (wide angle) to adjust the zoom for recording"?

But I too have doubts on whether this really performs as specified.
Stephan Stryhanyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Just my own humble experience - as soon as I found out about the macro setting issue and turned it off, I have not experienced any focus shift when zooming in to focus and then zooming out again to recompose.

cheers.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #8
Major Player

I had this problem twice and it's been fixed twice by Sony under warranty. The last time was in the Fall of '07. Since then it's worked properly. Zoom in, get your focus and then zoom out to frame the shot. I verified this two weeks ago on a shoot. No focus problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7