Plastic battery covers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Plastic battery covers

Does anyone know where I can buy battery covers for the Sony batteries? I'd like to have plastic covers to protect the leads from shorting when I pack them with all of my gear.

(I'd rather not use tape, since in hot weather the glue doesn't come off and leaves some behind on the battery)
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know of any plastic battery covers for the Sony batteries. You could use gaff tape, the glue won't come off in hot weather unless you leave it on for a very long time.

I hope you're not trying to travel by air with this. If you are in the USA, the TSA will make you either throw them away or give you the opportunity to ship them somewhere from the airport before you go through security. At several airports around the nation, it has been reported that TSA is requiring that the batteries be attached to the device it is intended for. Their website clearly contradicts this but at the airport security checkpoint you really have no recourse.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Okamoto View Post
I hope you're not trying to travel by air with this. If you are in the USA, the TSA will make you either throw them away or give you the opportunity to ship them somewhere from the airport before you go through security.
Yeah, I am. Next week actually. I will be flying often this year.

From this post http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=111138&page=6 it seems like there are only a few reported problems, most with large size batteries.
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Here is some practical experience from the last few weeks:

(Airports: FRA, SIN, SYD, CHC, AKL, SIN, XSP, TOD, SIN,)
(LI-Ion batteries for Sony HDV V1E camera, Panasonic Lumix camera, Dell laptop. (Various sizes!)

Batteries for Sony and Panasonic: never a problem, only weight, because partly Cabin-luggage was weighed (!) (Max.7 kg), but it you carry the batteries in your pants, after visual inspection, OK

Laptop batteries where never a problem, never had to dismantled them. But laptop ALWAYS had to be pulled out from carry-case and run separately through X-Ray device

Funny, the laptop was never weighted;-it is probably NO hand luggage, but a human right

volki
Max Volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Hmmnnn I suppose your talking about the little plastic cover that comes on the batteries say when you first get the corder and that you get when you buy extra batteries(I think I remember getting one with my 970 when i purchased it)? If so, try B/H or Sony.. Other than that not sure to be honest....
Damon Gaskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7